Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 03-15-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: 5-10 PL Anyone like this?

I-C. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Re: 5-10 PL Anyone like this?

Hi Phil,

I make this kind of play on there all the time, it seems. And it works better there than in live play, IMO. But in this one spot, the turn card is so bad for you that I'd probably check it. Because of the pot-sized raise pre-flop, your pot-sized check-raise was pretty large for this game. I tend to put the guy on an overpair when he flat-calls it, with a big flush draw being less likely in my mind (not really sure how it works out Bayes-theorem-wise, given your 2 hearts and his calling requirements on the flop). But if he had a big pair, calling your raise is how most decent players on there would play it--call to see a safe turn card, and take away your ability to get all-in on the flop with a big draw and 2 cards coming.

With that in mind, the deuce is a pretty nice card for him. Whereas before he had to consider 56s from you (which I'd play exactly as you did on the first two streets), now he's not sweating it with an overpair, and has more outs with AQh, say. Also, I haven't played PL with you, but most folks on there who had just filled up a set would make a smaller turn bet--not that a huge bet is wrong. So, your bluff looks like a less powerful hand than it did on the flop, which ain't good if he's got any courage. For example, I could definitely see myself putting you all in on the turn with AKh/AQh/AA--JJ.

I haven't addressed him possibly having a set/fh yet, because I think it's unlikely. I don't think most players who are smart enough to bet full pot with a set there are going to just call your pot-raise, given the draws, the fact that you might be mentally committed, and the possible straight (he would want to get his money in with 2 cards to come in case he was the one drawing). If he's good, he knows that many players in his spot would keep raising and raising the flop with just AA; he might as well do it with a set.

Pre-flop, your call is definitely right, given the stack sizes and crazy action you get at PP.

Also, when I said to check the turn, that doesn't mean give up. If he bets full pot, you prolly should. But he may check, in which case I'd tend to bet a brick on the river, especially if it made more straights possible, and be cautious with a heart, since he took a free card. If he bet the turn small/reasonable, I'd consider calling or going over the top. THAT would look like a boat or a straight.

Finally, as it played out, of course move in on the river. He must call, and you're ahead the majority of the time here for sure.

Nice to see you're playing these tables, too; Charlottesville in the HIZ-OUSE! Represent.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Results and Thoughts

I guess the turn was the critical part. Whether I continue with my semibluff or not. The thing is , as long as I am not against a set I still have 9 outs against a higher flush draw (straight or pair), and 11 outs against a pocket pair (straight and flush draw). So I thought this was enough to continue the semi-bluff.

I really thought the board pairing was good for me, and that I could get another flush draw to laydown and maybe a medium pocket pair, but this was probably wishful thinking. I also have to agree with Cero too, that if I had top 2, the bottom card pairing actually helps pocket pairs.

Obviously on the river, betting is the right choice, as I am going to have to call anyway, and I would hate a pocket pair to check behind.

Results: opponent had AhQh and my HWNG. I realized later in the session this opponent did not like to lay down any hand, so this was not the guy to be trying semi-bluff bets, but simply value betting to death.

Thanks for all the replies.