Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 04:19 AM

Default Party $30+3 SnG Hand Question

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter

SB (t1190)
Hero (t1890)
UTG (t1555)
Button (t3365)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">UTG folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t800</font>, <font color="#666666">[i] SB folds

The Button was tight at first, but he opened up in previous last two levels, when the blinds got to 100/200. He won the previous hand when his preflop raise went uncalled. Despite the fact that he loosened up, I haven't really seen him turn over junk either. All in all, he seems pretty solid.

If I put him on a range of hands he might raise here with, lets say AA-55, AKs-A8s, AKo-ATo, KQs, and KQo, it's a -EV play according to Poker Stove (although it's close). It only becomes +EV if I include some other hands like Ax/ Broadways/junk.

Here are my options:

Call: Never

Fold: I didn't really consider this (although perhaps I should have). It seemed really weak tight. But like I said, to make this +EV, I have to put him on a wide range of hands.

Push: I don't think I can get him to fold if I push here. Like I said, I've read him to be pretty solid. When I push, he's getting better than 2.5 to 1 to call, so I don't think he's going anywhere. Given the range of hands I'm considering, I think pushing is -EV (although my range of hands is certainly debateable) assuming he's auto calling. But because it's close, is it theoretically possible for my hand to be -EV, but have it be a +EV play for the tournament? While the hand might be slightly -EV, if I win the hand, I'll have a very strong advantage going foward (having around t4000 while my 3 opponents are all around t1200)

I had been running hot in the $33s on Party in the last month, almost %50 ROI over 100 SnGs. But as expected, I've come back down to earth and haven't cashed in 8 straight, which is demoralizing/frustrating/etc. I realize I can never keep up a %50 ROI, but not cashing in 8 straight does leave me wondering if I have a leak in my game. I've been playing/studying for 6 months and still have alot to learn, so any advice is helpful. Even if this is clearly an auto push, that's good to know, as I'm in this losing streak and will take any reassurance I can get.