Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Have any SNG players given up whoring?

I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this thought process...

I'm very tempted to give up clearing bonuses and just stick to Sit N Gos. I do NOT play poker for a living. I usually get to play 1-2 hours in the evening and a couple more on weekends. Unless I'm clearing a bonus, I NEVER play ring games and stick exclusively to SNG's (11-33).

When whoring, I can usually clear the bonuses and break even, or show a small profit. However, I do not ENJOY myself while clearing bonuses (but I do enjoy the money I get afterwards). When playing SNG's, I have a much better time and I consider them a greater challenge. I make as much, if not more money, playing SNG's in terms of $/hr.

So do I give up whoring for awhile and stick to the poker that I enjoy? In reading back this post, that question seems sort of rhetorical, but I'd still like to hear other opinions.

Thanks all,

Amid aka Groo aka Denim
Old 04-06-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Have any SNG players given up whoring?

I have. I make more per hour playing SnGs than I do playing ring games with a bonus. I stopped whoring a couple of months ago and am thankful that I no longer feel compelled to grind through 10 hours of ring-game play just to clear a bonus.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:31 PM

im glad you posted this. i was thinking the same exact thing recently.

im making close to 45$/hr playing sngs and i make somewhere around 35$ clearing party-type bonuses (4 tabling both), meaning, on avg i lose 10$/hr earning whoring.

the only benefit of whoring is to break up the SNG monotony, which it does. also, if im on a bad SNG run, ill gladly play some limit and whore for a while.

i used to whore every site out there, now i just whore the party skins and on occasion ive passed those up as well.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:38 PM

same here.. i make more $/hr doing SnG's unless it's just a 5x rake bonus. i break even w/a 5x bonus. i'll play it just for something different.

but there hasnt been a 5x bonus in a LOOONG time. all are 7x or worst [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2005, 06:54 PM

just one first place finish in a $33 = more than the typical bonus.

imo, if working off a bonus takes you off your game or lessens the entertainment of it all, then you should pass on the bonuses.

there's lots of sites that give you credit for SnG's. take bonuses there. if you can play your game of choice and get credit for bonuses, that's gravy.

there is nothing wrong with passing on a $100 bonus if you are not enjoying yourself.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:01 PM

I'm a much better SNG and multi than ring game player (I've had someone tell me I could beat the Step 5's with a proper stake, but I'm also a mediocre winner at 3/6 and barely break even at 5/10 full) and I rarely clear bonuses.

I will occasionally if I have spare time and the inclination, but I much prefer not having to log ten billion hands, especially when part of it comes out of my rakeback anyway.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:02 PM

Like Granny said, on some sites, Stars and Paradise are the only ones I know of, you can slowly but surely work off your bonuses playing sit and go's.

On Party/skins and probably some other sites too, you can earn rakeback while playing in sit and go's, which depending on how much you play, that could be a nice little bonus each month.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:17 PM

the SNG/MTT bonus friendly sites for your reference:

Bodog (100-200% refund)
Poker Stars (100%)
Pokerroom (71%)
Bugsy's Club (50%)
Full Tilt (42%)
Absolute (10%)
Paradise (10%)

Tourney fees are eligible for rakeback on Party skins. not sure but possibly at Cryptos, Primas, Absolute and FTP as well. others can clarify.

UB's tourney fees earn Ultimate Points but do NOT clear bonus dollars (not sure about rakeback tho).

SNG's - certainly an acceptable alterna-whore if you're good at them.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:33 PM

Yes I have given up whoring now that I am up to 4 tabling 200+15s. I make way more just playing SNG's, but as you all know SNG's can get very nerve racking when you bubble what seems like a baziillion times in a row pushing with the best hand.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:50 AM

I'm the same except with regard to limit.

Just pass on the bonuses, you're probably costing yourself by playing ring games.