Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: A-high flush w trips on board

[ QUOTE ]
Had the nut flush with pocket Ace, which I forgot to mention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry buddy you can't have a four flush on the board with trips on the board, which you'd need to make your nut flush with pocket aces. That, and you'd have a boat.

What are you talking about?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:48 PM

The other folks generally look at the absolute value of their hand such as "flush" or "full house" and downgrade the relative value. Thus its easy to bluff them when they have small pairs even if its obvious you don't have anything, and thus they call with flushes even when its OBVIOUS they are beat.

So no, I don't think its a good idea to bet a flush into trips on board, since nobody is going to lay down a (small) full house, unless its obvious he's got a flush and will call with it.

- Louie

Having said that, I suppose you could contrive an situation where its better to bet that hand than checking and sweating. Such a situation probably requires the opponent to maybe have the small full house and maybe lay it down, AND maybe have nothing and maybe bluff, but not bluff enough that you'd be temped to check-and-call.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Had the nut flush with pocket Ace, which I forgot to mention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry buddy you can't have a four flush on the board with trips on the board, which you'd need to make your nut flush with pocket aces. That, and you'd have a boat.

What are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

we're playing omaha here, right?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The other folks generally look at the absolute value of their hand such as "flush" or "full house" and downgrade the relative value. Thus its easy to bluff them when they have small pairs even if its obvious you don't have anything, and thus they call with flushes even when its OBVIOUS they are beat.

So no, I don't think its a good idea to bet a flush into trips on board, since nobody is going to lay down a (small) full house, unless its obvious he's got a flush and will call with it.

- Louie

Having said that, I suppose you could contrive an situation where its better to bet that hand than checking and sweating. Such a situation probably requires the opponent to maybe have the small full house and maybe lay it down, AND maybe have nothing and maybe bluff, but not bluff enough that you'd be temped to check-and-call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Louie,

i came to the same conclusion after thinking it over myself. I thought it might be akin to a four flush board heads up and acting first on the river without a flush card (aka the Clarkmeister Theorum); however there are so many more hands out there that beat you and as you stated very few, if any, that you are beating that will lay down.

appreciate your input and discussion
thanks,
the Real Macoy