Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Is there any way to win a tourny when shortstack?

Well if you are late in a tournament and your shortstack what are the chances youre gonna double up again and again and make a final table or win a tournament. And if the chances are indeed so slim should a player play a lot of hands the early stages in order to build his stack or should he play with the "survive" attitude?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Is there any way to win a tourny when shortstack?

not necessarly play alot of hands. but u do need to build a stack and continue building a stack throughout the tourney.

IE steals, big hands, ect.

of course it is possible to come back from a very short stack the odds are against u.

basically, never let yourself get shortstacked.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:21 PM

they key to winning a tournament is to obtain all of the chips. if u do that, then u should have no problem
Old 06-17-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they key to winning a tournament is to obtain all of the chips. if u do that, then u should have no problem

[/ QUOTE ]

i will have to start impimenting that helpful post into my game. thanks for the help.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:27 PM

its an aspect of the game few can master. GL
Old 06-17-2005, 10:33 PM

Of course you can win a tournament after getting short-stacked. This is why people talk about having "a chip and a chair."

Your fair share of first place is roughly equal to the fraction of the chips you have.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:29 AM

I was playing a $30+$3 Multi on PartyPoker, average chip stack is around 5K, 375 left, blinds are 100/200 or so, and some unlucky chump loses a huge hand, leaving him with 35 chips, with the BB on him no less. Needless to say he quadruples up, then triples up, then doubles up, in the next 5 minutes. Up from 35 to almost 1K in about ten minutes, then he gets moved. Hour or two later, I make it into the top 20, condensed to two tables. And who is sitting next to me, but the 35 chip stack now with 34,000 chips. That's probably the biggest turnarond I've ever seen. Obviously not the norm, just wait for multiway pots with good drawing hands or isolate blinds with high cards.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:33 AM

Since the chips you can win are not worth as much as the chips you risk to win them, then you should theoretically play a lot more conservatively in a tournament, right from the start but especially near the end when your stack is in jeapardy. On the other hand, when the opponents are playing squeaky tight with short stacks, you are supposed to steal them blind. Thus, short stacks should play conservatively and big stacks should play aggressively, and overall that's good for the big stacks. Just don't play big pots against the other big stacks.

So I think you are correct.

Going out on a limb early yeilds two likely results: you get into the mid tourney with lots of chips and can attack the short stacks yaddy yaddy; or you get busted out and don't have to waste hours sitting in the tourney. Both of those are bigger EV than getting into the mid tourney with a short stack, since you could have invested that time in a the good side games.

- Louie
Old 06-18-2005, 04:46 AM

NO. Of course not. As soon as you become the small stack, you should raffle off your chips and head home.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:51 AM

I love to play shortstack.