Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Typical online overpair OOP scenario

This comes up all the time and it’s a frustrating situation for me…….

2-4, 400 effective stacks. No reads ( I just sat down)

3 limpers including small blind and I make it 20 from BIG blind. SB folds and the other two call. ($64 in pot)

flop: 7d6d2s

I lead for $50, minraise by first limper, fold…..

What’s you’re standard line in this type of situation?

EDIT....By the way.....My Hand is QdQc
Old 12-07-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Typical online overpair OOP scenario

How high your overpair is matters a lot. A lot of guys will min-raise with 88-99 here as well as a diamond draw or a set. With JJ+ I usually feel pretty good about reraising.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:56 PM

Player dependant. Usually fold and suspect set with that action. $200 NL players are usually pretty good at making it obvious they have sets. Sometimes I call and look at turn, the board is draw heavy here, Villain could be getting tricky with good draw?

A kinda want to 3-bet to decide what is going on, but this action is a set too often in the games I play in, so I don't. I also don't want to call and get bluffed out by a smaller overpair or a draw, etc.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How high your overpair is matters a lot. A lot of guys will min-raise with 88-99 here as well as a diamond draw or a set. With JJ+ I usually feel pretty good about reraising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sry...my hand was QdQc (i added that to the original post)

I'm always inclined to reraise here but that effectively pot commits me. I get all the chips in and i'm against a set a fairly high percentage of the time....Any guesses to how often random villian has a set?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:17 PM

With that action? More than 50%.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:22 PM

Don't 3bet this, that is only folding hands that you beat. If you think you are good, call and check-raise all in on the turn.

However, you should have raised this more preflop, with 3 limpers you have to at least make this 30, especially OOP.

As played i'm probably folding as the min-raising villan still has a player to act after him and doesn't seem all that concerned, he wants money in the pot with his set.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:55 PM

make it 30pf....I probably fold if my PSB on flop gets reraised. PS is this full ring or 6 max?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Player dependant. Usually fold and suspect set with that action. $200 NL players are usually pretty good at making it obvious they have sets. Sometimes I call and look at turn, the board is draw heavy here, Villain could be getting tricky with good draw?

A kinda want to 3-bet to decide what is going on, but this action is a set too often in the games I play in, so I don't. I also don't want to call and get bluffed out by a smaller overpair or a draw, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do the call and look at the turn line, but there are very few cards that come on the turn that change anything. I guess a A or K make it easier to fold and a Q make it easy to CR allin but if u call this and make any meaningful raise on the turn u have most of ur stack in.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:07 PM

in 6 max, I push normally, or call to get in on the turn, in full ring i just fold without a read.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do the call and look at the turn line, but there are very few cards that come on the turn that change anything. I guess a A or K make it easier to fold and a Q make it easy to CR allin but if u call this and make any meaningful raise on the turn u have most of ur stack in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling the flop isn't about seeing a turn and bet by villan to see if you are ahead or not. You have to make your decision NOW, with the flop min-raise if you are ahead or behind. If you think you are behind a large % of the time to this particular villan, fold. If you call you are saying you have the best hand and are going forward accordingly.

3 betting only gets you pot stuck against hands that beat you and folds out hands you had beat. Only thing calling your raise is a better hand 90% of the time.

If you decide to call you are going with the stance that you have the best hand, thus your plan turns into trapping villan with is pair of 10's. Check raise him all in on a non-diamond turn and get max value.

Whether you are behind or ahead, if you move forward by calling the min-raise you are putting all of your money in with this hand by the river. The key is if you are moving forward to maximize the amount of money you get out of villan when you are ahead.