Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Animal Rescue and Katrina

With the outpouring of aid to the victims of Katrina, I wanted to make sure we didn't forget about the animals affected by this tragedy.

Many people form intense emotional bonds to their pets, and the rescue of these animals will have great beneficial effects beyond saving the animals themselves, as those reunited with pets they were forced to abandon in the flood will have their grief and healing greatly facilitated.

Here's a link to the Humane Society disaster relief fund, or google if you prefer for similar efforts - I hope it's not considered spam under the circumstances.

https://secure.hsus.org/01/disaster_relief_fund_2005

In no way is this meant to diminish or detract from the human suffering wrought by Katrina - and it's not meant to start a debate about the value of human vs animal life. This is just an attempt at addressing another aspect of this vast catastrophe in a positive way.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Animal Rescue and Katrina

[ QUOTE ]
In no way is this meant to diminish or detract from the human suffering wrought by Katrina - and it's not meant to start a debate about the value of human vs animal life. This is just an attempt at addressing another aspect of this vast catastrophe in a positive way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you don't want it to be a human vs. animal value debate, but...given limited resources, it is.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:05 PM

>>I know you don't want it to be a human vs. animal value debate, but...given limited resources, it is.<<

Well, chewing gum and walking at the same time also involves competition for limited resources, in a sense. And most of us can manage that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, chewing gum and walking at the same time also involves competition for limited resources, in a sense. And most of us can manage that

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, the current administration can only chew a fraction of the gum, thus they shouldn't even think of walking.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:02 PM

It saddens me that there has not been enough effort and resources dedicated to the saving of pets. Humans cannot have fulfilling lives without their animal friends and buddies.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:27 PM

Zipo, I agree with you. This is not humans vs. animals.

1. Animal aid can be human aid because animals comfort people. Human victims of Katrina shouldn't have to lose their pets as well as their homes.

2. Humans have federal funding, donations from US citizens, donations from non-US citizens, and International Aid. The animals don't have as much being offered to them. They are not provided for through tax dollars and such. ALL they have is our donations.

3. Many people will donate to both causes. Some will split thir donation, but many will simply double it.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:32 PM

Great points mushu and otis - thanks.

>>3. Many people will donate to both causes. Some will split thir donation, but many will simply double it.<<

Exactly what happened with my wife and I. Our first donation was to the American Red Cross. Then as we were made aware we made another to the Humane Society.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:08 PM

Just an opinion, but I disagree. There's a very real difference between human and animal "aid." This goes without saying, but every dollar going to look for a dog or cat doesn't go towards the man, woman, or child. I can mildly appreciate the comfort and such a pet provides their owner, but you'd need a better argument to convince me it's anywhere near the same level of significance as the peoples lives themselves.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:36 PM

Evacuees anguished at leaving pets behind
Old 09-04-2005, 11:17 PM

Making a little boy leave his dog behind as he gets on a bus. If it was me i would not get on the bus. My dog is my child.