Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2004, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Please critique this hand!!!

1) You got cute and wanted to double through with a big pocket pair. 2)You got cute and wanted to double through on a HUGE flop.3) BC you took risks for the extra rewards you offered an opponent a very strong draw. You then never priced him off of it.4) HE caught yu got stung.

I mean this is pure risk-reward crap. You knew what you were doing the whole time...it seems that now you are having a hard time "paying the piper"
Old 12-24-2004, 08:49 AM

You could have made a larger preflop raise, but obviously you wanted the blinds to call you. You probably should have bet the flop with a 2-flush on the board. You probably figured the blinds would fold with an ace on the board.

If you had raised on the flop, A2s would have either called or checkraised allin. Checkraising allin is a pretty standard move iwht top pair plus nut flush draw. You would have been the big favorite on the flop, but would have lost the hand.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:06 AM

I am sure with out reading all the posts below, they said the same thing.

You have to bet the flop so that the draw does not get the correct price to call.

Forget about the results, and that he called the turn.

You made a mistake in not betting the flop.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:38 AM

Next time this happens I am pushing the flop. That way atleast I can take solice in the fact that I had the butz and got sucked out. No matter what though I believe I was going to be all in here no matter where I bet it. If I had raised 4-5x the bb he would of called anyway with A anything. If I was shakes I would of folded on the turn to that check raise all in on the turn, that's just me I guess. Thanks for the help guys. I was very upset, nothing worse then losing with Aces late in a tourney. I lost the night before late in the large caps tourney with Aces all in pre flop to a K8. Guy said "I'm tired", so I was extra upset to lose again with them late.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:01 PM

Tony I don't think any sized bet you would have made on the flop moves him off the hand. He's got top pair and the nut draw with a chance to take a huge stack to the final table if he wins the hand. As someone said before, it's just poker.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Put yourself in Shakes' position. You've got A2 suited in the BB and get to see the flop for a minimum raise. The flop gives you top pair and the nut-flush draw. From that point on, there was never a bet that wasn't CORRECT for him to call, given the pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]
In addition, Shakes picked up a gutshot on the turn. It is not "unreal" when someone has 11 outs and hits one of them.

That said, Tony's play in this hand was not absolutely terrible although I would have played it differently. Preflop raise more; this is NL after all. On the flop I typically do like to check a set of aces, because the ace on board tends to kill your action unless someone bluffs into you. However, the flop was A-T-3 (not to mention the two clubs), so a small bet is probably correct because there are many ways your opponents could have a gutshot (especially true because the preflop raise was so small).
Old 12-26-2004, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just find it hard to believe that anyone with a flush draw with one card to go would risk it all knowing full well he was beat with a check raise like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
You were last to act. There was no checkraise.

You titled your post "Please critique this hand!!!" and the only way to interpret your overpunctuation is that you desired honest feedback. Your comment to DougBrennan ("smartass remarks from the peanut gallery") is uncalled for.