Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 07:16 AM

Default Wild 20/40 game at the Borgata is this a right play?

Hero has QQ in cut off seat.

{Preflop}
UTG+1 is a solid player who has been getting As about 5 times in the pass 2 hours, he has been playing ABC poker and he is not capable to bluff raise on the river.

UTG+1 open raise, 2 callers and I decided to just call instead of 3 betting it. Both blinds called

Pot has 12 SB

<font color="green">Flop came 332 rainbow </font> , both blind checked to UTG+1 who bet, one caller, HERO RAISE, BB called( BB is a fish who chase runner runner flush every hands)

UTG+1 3 bets, at this time I put him on a pair As Ks Js or Ts and I decided to just call and planning on raiseing on the turn. In the mean time, he is saying that AK no good!

11BB in the pot

<font color="green"> Turn came a K </font> Nice, a good card for me, BB check he bets I raise BB folded and he quickly called.

15BB in the pot

River was a blank, He checks I value bet it, he raised.....

What should hero do?

And did hero play this right?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Wild 20/40 game at the Borgata is this a right play?

[ QUOTE ]
he is not capable to bluff raise on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
What should hero do?

[/ QUOTE ]

?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:46 AM

If you are so confident in your read that the UG +1 is not capable of a check raise bluff on the river, then fold.

He just check raised you on the river.

Personally, I'd pay him off.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:30 AM

I would play this hand very differently.

Preflop: You've just got to three-bet here. Punish the cold callers, thin the field, and take control of the hand. With the two callers between you and UTG, you will not be able to thin the field with a flop raise.

Flop: I might cap the flop to charge the BB and the other caller (did he call the three bet??). If you are ahead, the other players are drawing thin.

Turn: The K is a terrible card for your hand. If you were ahead, it could scare your opponents into slowing down. It could also have hit your oppenents' hands. If I raise here, it is with the idea that I'm not betting the river and am folding to a reraise. The pot is big, so raising the BB is not out of the question.

River: Check this puppy down. I think you can safely fold to the raise.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:37 AM

Raise preflop, cap the flop.

You gotta punish these cold callers.

blake
Old 11-21-2005, 09:20 AM

Preflop: With two coldcallers you MUST threebet. Your equity edge is just too large to ignore the opportunity.

Flop: Cap to make BB pay or fold in this big pot.

Turn: The K is not a good card. Your situation against UTG+1 has not changed (if he was on a PP), but BB could just have sucked out on you. A raise to charge BB seems best, assuming you can fold to a 3bet from either player.

River: I would probably bet too. And call against most players, but if your read is strong you can fold.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:22 AM

Reraise preflop. As played, I like your play for the turn. I also like the river bet, but I don't see how you can pay off the checkraise. He knows you could have AK and he clearly doesn't fear it (as well as your read that he won't ever bluffraise the river-not that many would here OOP against a preflop raiser showing lots of strength on THAT board). I wouldn't pay this off.

Jeff
Old 11-21-2005, 11:20 AM

reraise preflop.

fold river IF your read is correct. has villian c'red river here and not been called down before? has he c'red been called and then did it again and was not called? has he always shown down a hand when he shows late street aggression? if yes to the latter then that's a pretty easy fold.

which makes betting the river easy. nice bet GIVEN that you can easily fold to the raise. if you cannot, then you should check.

i read somewhere in the thread somebody said "check river and you can easily fold to the c'r" this logic is wrong. if folding is easy to the c'r, bet the river for value given IF he just called the turn. but he bet the turn.

yea i forgot he bet called the turn. river might be a check behind.

NOTE: if you are NOT sure on your read, be careful as an excellent player may see you have a hand like 77-99 (given no preflop 3bet) and c'r the river to get you off it, not to get a call. i dontt hink that matters here though as your read was villian here has a strong hand.

Barron
Old 11-21-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As played, I like your play for the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain. Seems like classic wa/wb situation where a raise will fold out any worse hand and invite a re-raise on the turn or c/r on the river from any better hand. How about smoothcalling the turn to induce a possible call from BB on the turn and a river bet from UTG with a worse hand?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:58 PM

A turn raise could knock out the BB who would otherwise be getting the odds to draw to a gutshot straight (esp. with an A overcard).