Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Do you guys know any P.O.W\'s?

I have two friends that play a very similar style... very tight... very aggressive. I feel they play this way almost to a fault... I always know "where they are" in a hand based on their very tight play.

However, it blows my mind how often they get paid off.

I have heard a term for it POW... Pay-off Wizard.

It's weird, everyone knows they have the nuts, everyone knows they are tight, everyone comments out-loud on how they always have the goods... but somehow donkies and average players continue to payoff them off non stop.

I don't get it? What is up with this phenomenon?

Individually they are very different... on plays limit, the other no limit; one is a girl, the other a guy.

I really don't get how these two get paid off as much or as easily as they do.

Do they have some poker quality that I'm missing that makes people believe that this happens to be the one time in 1,000 that they are bluffing / semi-bluffing?

One example is a flop of 5, 8, 4 rainbow... after a couple raises and re-raises... our POW announces all in for $1,400 and gets insta-called by a descent player who is holding 3-6 suited for a open ended straight draw?

I don't get it? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Everyone at the table knew the POW had a set if not the made straight already.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Do you guys know any P.O.W\'s?

Good game selection seems to be the answer.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:32 PM

It is a great mystery that you can make consistent money in almost all games just by having a little patience and discipline; and yet so few people play that way.

On the other hand, it may be that your POW friends are doing a little bit extra to induce those calls. A very rare, carefully chosen bluff; the right table manner; a few tricks like fake tells; these things can turn a tight break-even player into a POW.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, it may be that your POW friends are doing a little bit extra to induce those calls. A very rare, carefully chosen bluff; the right table manner; a few tricks like fake tells; these things can turn a tight break-even player into a POW.

[/ QUOTE ]

This plus since you said they are aggressive, they might often raise a lot more hands preflop but not actually play too many more than other players. This gives the illusion of action and gets noticed more than the fact those type players are checking and folding when they miss the flop after having raised preflop. I only play big bet and not limit, but this is how good big bet players are often able to get more action than they should.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:15 PM

thanks for the input...