Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 09:35 PM

Default How do you Deal with a Table full of Nutpeddlers?

I know, table selection and avoid them whenever possible, but as games are tightening up, this isn't always possible.

I want a strategy of how to deal with these tables.

My strategy has generally been to raise a lot more preflop, and hope to take pots down with continuation bets. Now
obviously aces or Ak aren't coming along often enough to wait for these hands, so I do a lot of raising with weak hands but hands that have some promise. For example 108 suited, J9 suited etc. (I don't like raising with the trouble hands because doing that usually costs me if I hit).

Early on, I'll often just steal the blinds, but as players catch on, usually I get one or two callers deciding its time they play policeman or something. (They don't raise me much preflop, and if they do usually they have a real hand.) A lot of times let's say I raise to five dollars get two callers, and then I'll bet fifteen on the flop and take it down. But then sometimes they reraise me, and unfortunately I've usually got nothing in these scenarios.

So let's say I get one caller, I raise to five preflop, bet ten on the flop and he reraises me to thirty, and I have nothing so I can't call. So that action cost me 15 dollars. If I win the hand, most of the time I only win five dollars (the money called preflop). So this play has to be successful 3 times out of four to just break even.

Usually one of two things happen when I try this strategy on a table full of nutpeddlers. A) They get tired of my raises and continuation bets and take pots away from me. Also, I sometimes get myself into trouble where I flop strong draws but after the reraise I'm committed to going all in with something I'm only going to hit 33% of the time, and my folding equity is usually pretty close to zero, because mostly these nut peddlers wait for real hands to play back at me, and they don't give me much credit.

So the end result is I often lose a couple of buy ins to these tighties.

Or, B) I get insanely lucky with my 86 suited that I raise and I flop some straights or two pairs, and the nut peddlers get screwed over when they try to slowplay their pocket Aces to trap me.

I can't say I've kept records, but in general I'm losing money to these players. If I play tight like them I usually make almost nothing or lose a little.

Any advice? Please be as specific as possible about hands and situations where you can take advantage of these tight players.

As you may have gathered, they are very tight, but they're good enough players to recognize when they're being bullied and then to either trap me or sometimes even raise me back with nothing when I can't call.

Thanks for any help,

David
Old 06-06-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: How do you Deal with a Table full of Nutpeddlers?

Either post was too long or no one has a clue how to play these tables....which is it?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:09 PM

Just like you said... start raising more until they start playing back at you, then wait for a real hand and do it again.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:33 PM

best way to make money is to leave this table or get them short-handed. The only way you'll make money from most tighties is to catch them making a mistake. Running them over isn't going to help much in a full game where they can wait you out. Try to observe how they respond to your position play/stealing and try incorporating it into your strategy.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:37 AM

You have to check/fold sometimes on the flop. Don't make a continuation bet every time.

Check/fold, and then go for a check/raise the next time you hit top pair.

When they catch on to what you're doing you have to throw them off.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:34 AM

I avoid tight tables like the plague now. I don't win at them so I won't play at them. I'll look for a loose one for as long as it takes (usually not long).

While this is just a generality, tight players have a higher likelihood of being genuinely good players. There are some very competent players lurking at the lower levels, and they aren't the ones with 50% VP$IPs. I'd rather learn here on the forums than by being skinned alive at a table full of players who are better than I am.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:04 AM

actually my strategy is pretty much like the OP for the first couple of orbits - it amazes me how much these guys fold. They will NOT play back at you unless they have a good hand. I will just keep pushing until they play back - then I lay low for a while, but the check/fold on the flop bet should be done fairly infrequently as when i make the continuation bet - most of the time they actually do fold.

and yes - I have been making money at the 1/2 NL tables