Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 02:16 PM

Default 20/40 Commerce - turn raises

Full game, table is terrific. Just honing my skills to see if this is proper play, based on the described opponents.

Hand 1: Solid pro TAG limps UTG, I raise to his immediate left with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. All fold to the BB (relatively new player who gives me the gambool impression) who calls. TAG calls. Three to the flop.

FLOP: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet. BB holds up his cards for his wife (who's sweating him) to see, shrugs and then calls. TAG folds. Headsup.

TURN: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets. I raise. BB thinks for ten seconds and calls.

RIVER: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, I bet. BB calls.

Hand 2: Two limpers to me in LP with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I limp along. All folded to BB who checks. Four to the flop.

FLOP: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Tilting guy bets, MP (laggy qualities) calls, I raise. Tilting guy says, "You don't play those cards! Why are you raising?!" I shrug. BB folds. Both call. Three to the turn.

TURN: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Tilting guy checks, MP bets. I raise.

All suggestions welcome. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: 20/40 Commerce - turn raises

I don't much like either turn play, and I think I'd much rather fold or call the flop in hand 2 than raise. I played about 3 days of 20/40 at Commerce last March and I don't remember it being particularly aggressive, but maybe I'm mistaken.

More importantly, are the $5 chips now clay?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:48 PM

No clay, Dave. Still that old disgustingly slippery plastic, that is difficult to manuever when doing the old "nervous" shuffle.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:34 PM

What are you trying to accomplish with the river bet in hand 1?

In hand 2, are you planning on folding if either player calls the turn raise and leads out on a non 6 or 9 river?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:40 PM

Given the reads, I like both plays. Hand 1: the shrug seems like he has a pair of 4s/2s and may give that up when you raise the turn/bet the river (particularily to save face in front of wifey).

Hand 2: I'd certainly expect LAG to raise TP on the flop instead of waiting for the turn to bet out. So the raise is charging him for his pair of 5s (much more likely, I think) and knocking out the tilter's 6 outs. If this hand didn't work out, I'd wonder about your reads.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:47 PM

In hand 1, I don't really like the river bet. This guy doesn't appear to be drawing, and after he calls the turn raise, he doesn't appear to be folding.

In hand 2, I'd just call the flop. I'd prob pop the turn though, and take a fsd.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:50 PM

Hi Jazz,
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]With the specific mannerisms that he gave off on the flop, I put him on a weird draw or a 4 or 2. In my mind, there's just no way this guy has a jack, or else the flop would have been bet or called in a much quicker fashion. I was tremendously surprised he called the turn raise. On the river, there is no way for me to win the hand without making him lay it down. I needed to continue with a bet by representing an overpair or a jack.
[ QUOTE ]
In hand 2, are you planning on folding if either player calls the turn raise and leads out on a non 6 or 9 river?

[/ QUOTE ]No, I would call.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:52 PM

You are aware that you have nut no-pair in hand 1? I bet the river here too, because you do get a 4/2 to fold some percentage of the time (particularily live) but there is a reasonable chance that your hand is good if you check.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:57 PM

Hi Card Sharp,
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: I'd certainly expect LAG to raise TP on the flop instead of waiting for the turn to bet out. So the raise is charging him for his pair of 5s (much more likely, I think) and knocking out the tilter's 6 outs. If this hand didn't work out, I'd wonder about your reads.

[/ QUOTE ]Exactamundo. I actually put the laggy MP bet as a pure bluff, and tilting guy on a some type of pair. There's just no way tilting guy can call here without a 9. My intention was to take the free showdown if either player, or both, called.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Jazz,
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]With the specific mannerisms that he gave off on the flop, I put him on a weird draw or a 4 or 2. In my mind, there's just no way this guy has a jack, or else the flop would have been bet or called in a much quicker fashion. I was tremendously surprised he called the turn raise. On the river, there is no way for me to win the hand without making him lay it down. I needed to continue with a bet by representing an overpair or a jack.

[/ QUOTE ]
While I agree that you probably cannot win this hand without betting, I also don't think you are going to win this hand with a bet often enough to make it worthwhile. He made the "tough call" on the turn, so I don't think he is even considering laying this hand down on the river unless a really scary card hits. Without a read to the contrary, I would check behind on the river, expecting to lose. You made a play on the turn based on a read and a belief that the combined chances of winning the hand outright and improving on the river made a raise correct. Don't throw another big bet into the pot merely out of frustration or out of some unfounded hope that the guy who just a made tough call is going to fold the river with a pair or better. (BTW, I don't think his play is necessarily inconsistent with weakly playing Jx, where x is a bad kicker.)
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]No, I would call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, unless you have reads that you dictate you do something differently, you're exposing yourself to putting a lot of bets in with the worst hand. I like free showdown plays a lot more when you can safely chuck your hand in the face of continued aggression. They lose a lot of their value if you plan on calling down anyway if the opponent keeps betting strongly. It's a different story if you have a solid read that both opponents would go for a C/R on the turn once they make trips. I hope you are at least folding to a turn 3-bet here, at least from MP. (If your read on the tilting guy is that he is just making crazy raises and bluffs, then calling him down is very sensible.)

I think in both hands the profitability of your turn raises is diminished significantly by your plans for the river play.