Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 01:20 PM

Default chip leader 5 away from the bubble

Pokerstars 50+5.
iVE BEEN chip leader since about the 4th hand of play. we are now down to 41 and top 36pay. Im only concerned with top 3. Table has been very passive and i have basically had my way with it. being aggressive and picking up pots.

blinds are 200/400
Hero (14500) is dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in EP
Villain (9100) had already limped in UTG, he hasnt played many pots at all

I make it 1600 everyone folds back to villain who just calls

Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villains checks, Hero bets 2800, villain goes all in for 7500

pretty standard scenario? whats my play?
Old 10-01-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: chip leader 5 away from the bubble

I'd call and cringe if he had a set of 9's or the unlikely set of kings.

Likely, he thinks you are just trying to steal a pot, and might go all in with any 2, or possibly he played K9 horribly, and sucked out on you. Only hand that looks like it'd make sense to still be here though is 99, I'd call and know I still got a decent stack if I am behind here.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:47 PM

only 4,700 to win a pot of about 14k...Easy call.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:48 PM

he's more likely to have KQs of KJs than 99...call
Old 10-01-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he's more likely to have KQs of KJs than 99...call

[/ QUOTE ]

why? OP said he is playing tight. Playing KQ and KJ UTG and calling a raise is pretty loose if you ask me.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:55 PM

KJ would be bad, but KQs isn't so loose to limp UTG.. and i say it's more likely cause i don't want to give the guy credit for a set that easily..
Old 10-01-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KJ would be bad, but KQs isn't so loose to limp UTG.. and i say it's more likely cause i don't want to give the guy credit for a set that easily..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, i dont think a set is that likely, but with 3-1 odds who cares, easy call.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:05 PM

You are right exit, he might have KQs or KJs and making a check raise here.

Honestly, I think if he did have that, it would be a bad place to make a check raise, just for the slight chance hero might have ace something and take a free card at an ace. I really hate to check raise myself, I think it is often misused, and can get you in trouble more often than it can help you, and so many people use it as pure bluffs now, that I don't even see it as a powerful play. It does make me analyse the situation though whenever it happens to ask myself what he might have. Not saying the check raise is bad all the time, it does have some good places to use it, I am just saying that it is often not done in good spots, or used as it should, as a way to extract more chips from someone who wouldn't have called if you bet.

But back to the issue, I think the only possible holdings I could think of limping then calling your raise pf from a decent player would be (and most of these, I would never limp with UTG):

AKo, AKs, KQs, KQo (maybe), KJs, 99, JJ (maybe making a play at the pot), and POSSIBLY 22 depending how loose his calling standards are. Every now and then though, I see someone making a strange limp/call from UTG that makes me scratch my head. I played a sng earlier today, and 2 different people limped with queens pf then called my raise, then called down with a K on the flop. I had 10's and J's both times, and didn't put either one on that hand.

Regardless on whether you think you are behind or not on this hand, pot odds are looking good, and only hand that you are really behind I think is 99, so its likely that the hand is still best. Good call there.