Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Party Poker -- $5+1 vs $10+1 (screw the $5)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
stars have $6+.50... even better

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are 9-seaters, right? Does that make a difference? Is the payout structure still 50-30-20?

[/ QUOTE ]

These are 9-seaters, and the payout structure is 50-30-20. They are "turbo" SNGS, which is nice if you're used to party since you get to the higher blind levels faster.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Party's crappy $1 rake at the 5's actually works out to advantage, since a lot of fish figure they might as well play the 10's for the same rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe some fish do, but how many sharks do you know that play at the lowest level possible? Since every "smart" player goes to where the rake is 10%, this leaves the 6s with HORRIBLE players.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:16 PM

I think I may have been a little too conclusive with my results. Halfway through analyzing my stats I realized that there may be other factors other than the rake that are contributing to a lower ROI on the $5. That's why I added other hypotheses which seem to account for the 7% ROI gap. You're right, given the same attention, my ITM would likely be higher. Had this been a more empirical analysis I would have had the computer randomly select a 5 or 10 table for me to play and not reveal win amounts until analysis at the end.

Let me clarify though... I don't think the $5s are unprofitable or unbeatable. It's certainly not the case for my play so far. I just see this gap which is mostly due to the rake. Even if I toughen up my 5 game +7% ROI i still have the rake to deal with.

Regardless I'll take your reply seriously. I don't think I'll move on to 20s just yet. I think I can squeeze a little juice out of the $5s still.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:34 PM

nooooooo, this forum is supposed to help you, dont play the $6s!!!!.Now if u want to play $5+0,5 on stars or on UB now thats another thing, anyway play the 11s , play tight early, push or fold later on and be very agressive ITM.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:47 PM

i play at ultimate bet.. 5.50
Old 05-05-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nooooooo, this forum is supposed to help you, dont play the $6s!!!!.Now if u want to play $5+0,5 on stars or on UB now thats another thing, anyway play the 11s , play tight early, push or fold later on and be very agressive ITM.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I've played hundreds of $5 SNGs on both party and stars, and the play at party is much softer. It is easier to make money at party than stars, even with .50 more in rake. AND, since the games go much, much faster, you can make money at a quicker rate.