Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Standard Strategy for low limit games

Repost (slightly edited) davidross standard strategy for low-limit games from before SSHE came out. What revisions would you make to it today?

Yes, there is a standard strategy that will win you money. Of course if you can adapt to table conditions you will maximize your wins, but I think you could do very well by;

1) Have very solid pre-flop standards. Know which hands you will raise and limp with and be tighter than most players at the table.

2) Never be the first to cold call unless you are slowplaying.

3) On the flop, bet or raise top pair or better (if your starting standards are good kicker problems shouldn't concern you).

4) bet 4 flushes and open ended draws, raise them if you are sure 3 of you will go to the turn. Just call if you have a lot of players behind you. I'd rather play the draw 5 ways for 1 bet than 2 ways for 2 bets.

5) be aware of your pot odds. In most of those low limit games you have odds to chase gutshots on the flop. If there was a raise pre-flop or 5 players limping, you usaully can take 1 crack at the gut shot, especially if you have an overcard or a backdoor flush.

6) Make your mind up on the turn whether you are going to the showdown. I fold more on the turn then on the river. Obviously a busted draw can be folded on the river, but it I call a turn bet thinking I might be ahead, I will call the river too.

7) Fold often on the flop, don't chase. Raise with AK and get 4 callers. Flop is J94, Check and fold. The other guy chasing is what makes you money, don't do it for him.

8) Raise your big hands pre-flop. 3 bet and cap with AA, KK and QQ. THis is where the biggest chunk of your winnings will come from.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Standard Strategy for low limit games

I will take a try at this.

1) Have very solid pre-flop standards. Know which hands you will raise and limp with and be tighter than most players at the table.

Tighter than most players seems to be the key. Following strict charts/rules can make you to tight preflop. Example : You have a maniac to your right raising every flop, do you still fold AJo when he raises? Understanding hand types and the conditions each type plays best in seems more important.

2) Never be the first to cold call unless you are slowplaying.

I think this is and will always be true.

3) On the flop, bet or raise top pair or better (if your starting standards are good kicker problems shouldn't concern you).

Again to true to modify.

4) bet 4 flushes and open ended draws, raise them if you are sure 3 of you will go to the turn. Just call if you have a lot of players behind you. I'd rather play the draw 5 ways for 1 bet than 2 ways for 2 bets.

I struggle here. I bet/raise these for several reasons (if I am drawing to the nut!) even if I think less than 3 will go to the turn. I might win by making the others fold to my aggression therefore never having to make my draw. If I build the pot I will be more likely to get paid off if my draw hits. Other players might make a weaker draw when I hit mine as my starting cards are better. So I want to charge them full price for bad play. I might buy myself a free card if I want it. I overplay my draws so I better stop with the advice on this topic. Others will explain the proper way to play them.

5) be aware of your pot odds. In most of those low limit games you have odds to chase gutshots on the flop. If there was a raise pre-flop or 5 players limping, you usaully can take 1 crack at the gut shot, especially if you have an overcard or a backdoor flush.

Again I would want to be sure my draw is to the nut or second nut hand. Why convince yourself to call bets to draw to the idiot end? Lots of people in a pot raises the chance you are against other drawing hands. Key point is one small bet to continue with a weak draw and only when the pot could become large when you hit.

6) Make your mind up on the turn whether you are going to the showdown. I fold more on the turn then on the river. Obviously a busted draw can be folded on the river, but it I call a turn bet thinking I might be ahead, I will call the river too.

I like this point the most. It is the first expensive betting round so it stands to reason.

7) Fold often on the flop, don't chase. Raise with AK and get 4 callers. Flop is J94, Check and fold. The other guy chasing is what makes you money, don't do it for him.

The part I mess up in tight/aggressive is the folding part. I try to be aggressive and folding seems passive. It isn’t calling is passive, folding is a aggressive play. If you don’t want to bet/raise you have to fold. If you are unsure fold. Oh if I did this during a game I would be good!

8) Raise your big hands pre-flop. 3 bet and cap with AA, KK and QQ. THis is where the biggest chunk of your winnings will come from.

The players that don’t agree with this one are gone. They busted out long ago. This is the only thing I am sure of.

I am not confident of my analysis here. I posted this as a exercise and to get the discussion started. I look forward to hearing what others have to say.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:27 PM

If your pair doesnt turn into a set on the Flop - fold.
If it is an overpair then bet/raise
Old 04-16-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your pair doesnt turn into a set on the Flop - fold.
If it is an overpair then bet/raise

[/ QUOTE ]

I hesitate to call that "standard" strategy. Perhaps "simple" strategy is more appropriate. Postflop play with pocket pairs is far more dynamic than that.

Although this post isn't "standard" strategy either, it exposes the more subtle aspects of playing pairs that many players don't ever see or consider.