Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: A Note to \"WannaBe\" Pros

[ QUOTE ]
Further I think its a huge waste to drift around a college campus rudderless with no bettter idea of why you are there than because that is what is expected of you. Its flat out stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Of course, that doesn't mean that drifting rudderless in other places is necessarily better. For the rudderless, it can be hard to find +EV environments.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:27 PM

Where's the Rudder?...Is it at the pointy-end of the boat or the at the assend?...The Chief-of-the-Boat used to hate it when I asked that question...But then again, only two kinds of people whissle in the Navy; Chiefs & Queers
Old 12-22-2005, 01:44 PM

FWIW, I agreed completely with the article.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

great article by Ed Miller on the topic

[/ QUOTE ]

If I ever ran out of toilet paper and were in a jam, I'd simply print out an Ed Miller article.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you need a profound trust and faith in yourself and a complete disregard for the opinions and input of others

[/ QUOTE ]

How ironic is this coming from a guy who says that I wasn't cut out for this job??????!!!!
Old 12-23-2005, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you need a profound trust and faith in yourself and a complete disregard for the opinions and input of others

[/ QUOTE ]

How ironic is this coming from a guy who says that I wasn't cut out for this job??????!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

from others who don't understand the game or what it takes to be an entrepreneur...if you don't perceive me as having the credibility to make that assessment then take it with a grain of salt. the context in which i wrote that line is that my family is very conservative, christian, puritan work ethic, working for the man and paying taxes is the only good way to leads ones life. running a business at a young age and gambling for a living is seen as poor form in these circles, especially after having spent a great deal of time and money getting pedigreed to work for somebody else. but yes, if i was wrong, and you are meant for this life, then that applies to you as well.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you will ask the younger posters that know what they are doing.
Like = SuitedSixes/Lacky/UnArmed/Irieguy/and others

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that the average age of what you consider the "younger" posters here is ~15 years older than the average poster here....

Course, you DO have seniority on Methuselah, so who am I to quibble.

Daliman- 15 years older than the average poster here himself.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope you will ask the younger posters that know what they are doing.
Like = SuitedSixes/Lacky/UnArmed/Irieguy/and others

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that the average age of what you consider the "younger" posters here is ~15 years older than the average poster here....

Course, you DO have seniority on Methuselah, so who am I to quibble.

Daliman- 15 years older than the average poster here himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an IDIOT [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]Book it [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]You have only one redeeming grace = You like the same drink I do [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 02:25 PM

Poker is hard but so is corporate America. So is running a business. If poker were easy then it wouldn't be so interesting and we couldn't get the edge that we do. It also wouldn't be as motivating to learn the game better. But yes, poker is hard. At least there's no boss, at least you don't have to play some political game to step on anybody, and at least you don't have to have connections or be part of any family or specific ethnic group to become highly successful.

Indy
Old 12-22-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
at least you don't have to play some political game to step on anybody, and at least you don't have to have connections or be part of any family or specific ethnic group to become highly successful.

[/ QUOTE ]

In some ways that is true and its a great thing about poker, that the only discrimantory factor from any "public" game is money, anybody with the money can play. As far as "satalite" poker income goes though (writing artciles, books, poker products, coaching, etc.) poker is just like any other business in that respect.