Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: help me

i guess i should have raised flop bet turn and ckd river
Old 10-29-2005, 11:27 PM

i don't think anyone is providing any real reasons for why one move is preferred over another. pre-flop is fine. on the flop you have to raise it. sure he could be betting top pair, but he could also be betting a weak queen, aj, at, and a lot of other hands you beat. also, by just calling, you allow the sb in for cheap, and make things more complicated for yourself. you want to be the aggressor in these blind-stealing situations because people so often assume you're fos and try to take the initiative in the hand. the river fold is fine imo since i doubt the guy is going to fire 3 barrels into 2 opponents. regardless of what he had, though, you need to raise the flop.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:40 PM

Responding to posted bad advice is a good way for both the OP and the poster of said bad advice to learn.

I play pretty tight. I think open raising from the CO is very standard with QJo. How much better a hand do you need?
Old 10-29-2005, 11:58 PM

dont call the turn if you are gonna fold the river.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:09 AM

I raise the flop. If called in btoh places, I check the turn planning to call a bet, but will not overcall. If only one guy calls, I fire turn and check river behind.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:01 AM

Obviously raising from the cutoff there is fine. Postflop is really player dependant but I dont have any problem with just calling the flop bet. On the turn, if you decide you want to continue, you may as well raise to get father time out behind you. If he is that weak passive he'll probably fold a king or a better queen if he has either.

The river is close but I like a fold you cant beat much of anything at this point. Again just player dependant really.

-Staveg 12 (as you like to call me)
Old 10-30-2005, 01:09 AM

I guess i play too tight to raise CO with QJo. Maybe I should add that to my gaem, i dont know. But from my experience, when I raise PF and a player bets into me on a flop of KQ blank, he usually has top pair or a J10. I release on the flop, and maybe that's wrong, but for sure it is player dependent.

When i thought about the advantages of raising the turn, I agree that if you call this flop raising the turn is your best play.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess i play too tight to raise CO with QJo. Maybe I should add that to my gaem, i dont know. But from my experience, when I raise PF and a player bets into me on a flop of KQ blank, he usually has top pair or a J10. I release on the flop, and maybe that's wrong, but for sure it is player dependent.

When i thought about the advantages of raising the turn, I agree that if you call this flop raising the turn is your best play.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are players that I would fold to for one bet on the flop, this guy just didnt sound like one of them. As far as folding preflop goes, I doubt you give up a lot, but Im sure you are good enough to play this hand for a profit. Im just not crazy about opening that tight because not only do you give up a little value folding that hand, I think it becomes that much easier for you opponents to narrow down your hand postflop.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:28 AM

I'm going to get blasted all to hell for this- I limp CO with QJo.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:39 AM

No big deal, but I would try to stop doing it. Open limping is no good that close to the button. I pretty much never do it If I'm not UTG or UTG+1. Im not sure if it could be right in third or fourth position, I just dont really do it.