Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Rebuy MTTs are terrible!

Went to play a NL tourney at local B&M this weekend, and noticed it had rebuys. So I thought it was no big deal and decided to play. WELL, come to find out, it was the biggest waiste of time Ive ever seen. You start with 1000chips and 25/50 blinds, which double every 15or20min. so far so good.
So Im playing and I keep hearing "rebuy" and after 30 min I look around to see that NO ONE has been eliminated. I have seen two ppl at my table go allin and rebuy but I figured there was a limit to the madness. BUT NO, there was no limit to the rebuys. AND(it was not advertised) they also let you add on to your chip stack. The guy to my left bought back in 5times before finally leaving. and two others at my table were all out twice but still hung around with JUST as many chips as me because they would also add on the max amount of chips. I wasnt aware ppl would pay hundreds on a $40 tourney. so an hour later, I went all in on mediocre hand and got the hell outta there. And on my way out noticed that not a SINGLE seat was empty. Lady said it would take over ten hours to finish a 80person tourney.
terrible [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Rebuy MTTs are terrible!

whoa.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:39 PM

Yeah, you are right. Playing with deep stacks, huge prize pools, and bad players are all the worst qualities of a tournament. You nit.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:42 PM

Um, not terrible.

Just different. And clearly you weren't prepared for the differences. You *DO* know that the rebuy period ended immediately after you left?

-Scott
Old 06-07-2005, 05:55 PM

What you are describing is pretty standard in rebuys. You should go in alotting 3-4 rebuys simply as the cost of buying in. Those people that kept rebuying simply realized the value of getting tripled up+ by the end of the rebuy period. You are already starting with one foot in the grave if you go into the post-rebuy period with a starting chip-stack.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:00 PM

Personally I don't like them either, mainly because I'm always on a very limited bankroll, and I don't play the game of chasing big hands well. The last time I played in one, I got second to a guy I had busted 3 times during the rebuy period, but had bought back in. That was very frustrating.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you are right. Playing with deep stacks, huge prize pools, and bad players are all the worst qualities of a tournament. You nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, I love them for that reason. The only disadvantage is the online ones usually feature aggressive players who are easy to trap but hard to steal from later on. Live the blinds get big and the players get tight. I pushed 6 hands in a row with 1/3 of the players left in a live rebuy.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:17 PM

Not a bad game if you prepared- I played in my first 50.00 buy in (i dont like the re buy tournys either but it was the only live tournament i could find a few sundays ago) it was a mine field many players going all in so they could either double up or re-buy before the end of the rebuy period-i stayed patient only playing top hands and on the last hand before the rebuy period ended i went all in some guy called figuring he would double up before the end of the re buy or have the oppertunity to rebuy one last time and he called me with pocket threes and i had queens-i flopped a full house doubled up then added on 1000 more chips for 25.00 (you start with 2000) ended up coming home with 450.00 for third. first place got 1800 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] but you just have to be ready to take advantage of thier mistakes
Old 06-07-2005, 08:25 PM

I didn't think I'd like rebuys, either, but last week I accidentally entered one on Empire (I know, read the fine print--my bad) and enjoyed it. All the early all-ins made it very possible to build up a huge stack without committing the extra $$ for rebuys, and all the rebuys made for a fat prize pool. I did spend the $ on an addon after the first hour, but that was it. I didn't win a ton of money, but I did finish ITM for a profit. And enjoyed myself doing it.

Of course, if I had it to do over, I would've known to rebuy early when my stack dipped down to about 900; the extra 1000 chips could've made a big difference down the road.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:34 PM

was this at the Grand?