View Poll Results: Gwynn vs. Kelsey
Gwynn 102 41.13%
Kelsey 146 58.87%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Re: taking someones SATs for them, for a fee

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is it? I figure for someone that needs someone to take it for them 1500 would be good, but like I said I only know ACT mostly here in wisconsin. I luckboxed a 35 so I should whore myself out here for like 2500 a shot minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a good score when out of 1600, but SAT is now out of 2400 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's why people were making fun of my 1400-1500 score guesses.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would think about the people you win money from. this is a question i do actually grapple with, and a lot of the time i dont feel so great about it. but the SAT thing i have no real problem with.

[/ QUOTE ] The SAT thing is lying, winning money from people in poker is not. Lying is wrong, and people that lie are uninteresting.

I have moral qualms about poker as well, but doing someone else's SAT is something I wouldn't even consider( for any reasonable sum of money).
Old 11-05-2005, 09:46 AM

Let's say they discover the cheating, but do not tie your name to it rightaway. Obviously, they know for who you cheated. How much heat can this guy withstand before he gives up your name? This is a very important factor IMO.

Another question: are you sure this guy would keep his mouth shut if everything went well? You know: he tells one guy who swears not to tell anyone, and before you know it, the whole school is talking about the guy who put up five grand to cheat on his SAT's and got away with it.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much heat can this guy withstand before he gives up your name? This is a very important factor IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

They give no heat, they send a letter saying something about what they suspecct blah blah they ask tha tyou take it again in a supervised 1 on 1 room.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How much heat can this guy withstand before he gives up your name? This is a very important factor IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

They give no heat, they send a letter saying something about what they suspecct blah blah they ask tha tyou take it again in a supervised 1 on 1 room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Didn't think they would be breaking out the branding iron, but I'd expect some kind of investigation.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:23 AM

Just the fact that half of the people here would do this is very disturbing to me. Do that many poker players just throw morality out the window when money is involved?
Old 11-05-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just the fact that half of the people here would do this is very disturbing to me. Do that many poker players just throw morality out the window when money is involved?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. But then again, I don't really know what a SAT is.

I also live in Belgium, where tax fraud and general abuse of the system is part of our cultural legacy.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:51 AM

If you have thought about the morality of this and are OK with it, what is your rationale?

Also, how do you reconcile when someone who actually took the SAT legitly doesn't get into the college they want to go to because you took it for your friend?
Old 11-05-2005, 10:57 AM

I felt (i'm over it now) pretty bad about myself after i did it for some kids, but i made myself feel better beecause A) theres a good chance get caught, if theres a really significant score increase, they're going to get caught pretty much. B) If they're trtue douchebags (like the kids i took it for) they won't be around long in college anyway. spotI'm pretty sure both of the kids i took it for, will not grraduate from the schools they got into. So the legit student will have their chancee, they'll just have to transfer in. C) and finally, if the kids were legit hard-workers, and just freaked out at tests or something (i know a few people like this, that are very smart, but the anxiety of one test determining your future kills them) if i could definitely justify it to myself, that the system is unfair and they deserve a chance.

But, it's definitely a crappy thing to do, i can't say i'm ashamed of it, because i don't care really.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have thought about the morality of this and are OK with it, what is your rationale?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I don't really know what a SAT is or what it's purpose is. But what's the problem with cheating a test like that? It's not like you cheat on an exam to become pilot, and will be putting people at risk because you are flying them around without proper skills.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, how do you reconcile when someone who actually took the SAT legitly doesn't get into the college they want to go to because you took it for your friend?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand... probably because I don't know how these things work exactly. If there could be consequences for other people, this is a different matter.