Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: 1 Year Anniversary of Online Poker Career

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Going from a small company to being bought out by a large company, I can agree the corporate world does suck! I am taking the summer off and will find a job with a smaller company.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the corporate world does not suck. I have been with the same manufacturing company since graduating college (almost 12 years now), gone from working on the floor to a proffesional desk job. I get constantly challenged from different directions, and deal regularly with people all over the world.

Overall, it has had a positive effect on my life.

No where near as soul sucking as sitting in front of a computer playing poker all day - which I love doing.

There has to be a happier medium out there for you, and you should be able to find challenges is any job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you have you're perspective. I used to have that feeling as well. But in terms of soul sucking, nothing I ever do in the freedom of my own home will compare to the soul-sucking that I had to deal with working in the business world.

The turning point comes when you move high enough into management that you can actually see and understand what senior management is doing. Maybe my company was worse than average, but it really sucks when you're put in a position to have to continually lie to your employees. Better yet is when you get to sit next to a human resources moron to discuss lay off plans who tells you that you can't lay off who you want to because they've been in the position longer and have a college degree. The fact that they sleep at their desk and loiter around the office a couple hours a day doesn't factor in. No, damn it, you have to get rid of that young go getter full of potential instead because they've only been here 18 months and didn't get their degree. I think that was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

That said, thanks to all that gave positive feedback. I plan to continue to play and expect my numbers in the second year to improve.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:59 PM

Nice post. Very different from some that post huge success stories.

Did you have a rakeback deal? If not, you should probably get one. I imagine it would help a great deal. IMO rakeback is essential for anyone that goes pro. It helps to get through those weeks/months that you WILL lose $$$ at the tables.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:14 PM

Great post. Hope everything works out for you in year 2. I too suffered burnout during my last month. I get home from work and just have no desire to play poker. I find taking some time off really helped. I also find playing different games is a nice change of pace.

You should think about starting a blog. It would help you keep focus and would be interesting to read. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:55 PM

great post. Consider keeping us updated every once in a while.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for posting some reality. I appreciate your candidness.
X

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-05-2005, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The turning point comes when you move high enough into management that you can actually see and understand what senior management is doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen, brother. I went through the same experience myself and also made the choice to leave the corporate world behind.

While there are cases where some individuals have landed in a good position, the state of the work place in the corporate world is not good in this day and age.

This is especially true if you are in a middle management position, which I also was. Every day for a middle manager is nothing more than dealing with the self-serving whims of senior management and the whining from subordinates who quite often have an entitlement mentality. I cannot imagine any existence that will suck the life out of you more than that.

I appreciate you sharing your experience like this in an open forum. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I said 40-45% ROI which is exactly what it was in the $20s and $30s at Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't do that on Party, the different structure makes it close to impossible. 17% is bloody good at the 50s imo, I wish the OP good luck whatever he chooses to do in the future.

Regards Mack
Old 08-05-2005, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its also much easier to play 2 or 3 cash games than it is 2 or 3 SNGS at the same time

I disagree with this 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hat goes off to multi-tabling SNGers imo 4 tables of SNGs are harder than 8 cash games.

Mack
Old 08-05-2005, 10:37 AM

I also wish you the best of luck in the 2nd year, however I think you should ask yourself some very serious questions:

Why did I embark on this new career playing only 2 tables when (with a 6 figure salary) I could certainly have purchased a larger monitor?

After playing a few months, I suffered a loss in interest. What is going to rekindle my enthusiam in year two? (You gave no indication that the situation has improved/changed)

After playing limit ring for a few months I became bored with it. Then I suffered burnout just a few months later at another form of poker. Maybe my personality is not well suited to playing poker as a profession?

Is it possible that I worked for some real cretins in my former career and if I went to work for a different corporation I might find the majority of management are NOT
retards, liars, etc?
Old 08-06-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So first 5 months of your poker career was just 2-tabling. I consider it was a huge waste. If I ever decide to do it for a living I will start 8 to 12 table in no time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like the type that really tends to mask the truth to spare others' feelings, and considers all angles before making a snap judgement.

I went from 4 to 8 tabling (with a 2nd monitor) when I quit my job- 15/30 and some $1000 buyin games. Went up 15k in two weeks... then down 16k in 4 weeks after that. Just can't handle it. Even if it was 8 tables of 3/6 i doubt i could keep up.

I've discovered I can occasionally deal with 5. Doubt I'll ever try to push past that again. Just because one plays for a living doesn't mean one has to play 600 hands an hour.

2nd