FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When Do You Find Yourself Profiting More
Profit? 16 13.01%
Night 94 76.42%
Day 13 10.57%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: How athletic are you?

I fish. sometimes I get off my ass and check my bait. usually not, though. I've been improving my 2 yard dash times, though, so my beer refill results are getting better. I'm guessing I'm in the 90th percentile
Old 09-21-2005, 02:54 PM

I will do the same poll on science , math & philosophy.
That way we can compare results.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been improving my 2 yard dash times, though, so my beer refill results are getting better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good think you have your priorities in order
Old 09-21-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, that's an astounding coincidence. Apparently, the fittest people in the world are those who spend all day at a poker table or in front of a computer.

If people were being honest with themselves, those results would be inverted, with 40% in the lowest group and 4% in the highest.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also have to take into account the fact that the vast majority of people who post on here are probably solidly upper-middle class. This means the results SHOULD be skewed toward the "fit" side. I would wager that the average poster here is in better shape than 65% of the rest of the U.S.

That said, the results probably are a bit ego-dependent.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one that thinks these results are probably inverted?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. There's no way in hell this high a percentage of any population is in the top 20%.

Most people become very unathletic very quickly after high school, where sports prowess is about the most valued thing among their peers, and after college, where staying trim to be able to compete for all the fine hotties is about the most valued thing among their peers. The average person eats like crap and way too much and spends an incredible amount of time in front of the t.v. I'd guess the average guy is at best 50% as good athletically as he thinks or says he is. That seems to have some reflection in the roughly 40% of people above who say they're in the top 20%.

The reason people will spend over a thousand bucks on an exercise machine they don't even use isn't because they want to be in shape, which they could do for free, but because they're lazy as hell and want miracles to get them out of the crappy health jam they've lazed themselves into.

As for myself, I picked the 61-80% category. I work out about three a week, and hard, and do light work on a couple of days more, but I'm coming back from being really out of shape for a long time, so I have some catching up to do, especially aerobically, as mostly I'm lifting weights. I couldn't pick top 20% if I didn't feel like I had pretty significant aerobic capacity.

The thing is, though, that the average Joe takes care of himself so poorly that it doesn't take all that much to be in much better shape than nost of the people around you without actually being in very good shape.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:39 PM

I said 80%+

I Surf, swim, hike, climb, bike, and ski/snowboard (professional instructor for ten years, avg 100 days/season)

does that count?
Old 09-21-2005, 06:20 PM

There's also a selection bias deal going on. Athletic people are more likely to respond for the warm glow effect.

If I saw a MySpace poker poll about "Your play, how brilliant in your opinion?" I'd subconsciously be like "Hell yeah. Here's my chance to brag."