Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: ??????

[/ QUOTE ]
just stfu idiot... theres always someone trying to find something to flame about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the irony of this statement is lost on you.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:25 AM

Basically, the moral of this is: if you've played a year and think you can go pro on 10/20 online, you can't, you're just a lucky fool with a small sample size and you will go broke.

This is the one issue with me, I always question my game as to whether I won because of skill or whether the green session was just due to luck.

I also have a friend who got addicted to gambling and he's borrowing money from everybody. He borrows $50, starts at .5/1, and keeps going up to 30/60 thinking he's a rounder, he always goes broke.

I would say something, but hey, poker winners don't come out of a void, somebody's gotta be there to lose. Your friend had the pleasure of contributing to the poker boom and all the 2+2ers grinding it at 6BB/100.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
just stfu idiot... theres always someone trying to find something to flame about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the irony of this statement is lost on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 10-06-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was giving him the chance to play for his trip for free against me with my own money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you hounded him relentlessly by e-mail after you tracked him down, it is apparent that he wasn't playing for free. In other words, you simply fronted some money to a degenerate gambler--and then became incredulous when he lied about his plans to pay you back--even though you originally paid for his weekend because you knew he was broke.

[ QUOTE ]
Last I recall, to be "friends" with someone takes a concerted effort by BOTH parties.

[/ QUOTE ]

True...friends don't play heads-up poker with their broke, degenerate gambling friends for money their friends obviously don't have--and then harass their friends daily for the money owed to them.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I should've written "We were friends, he's no longer my friend, but is now calling me for help." Does that make you feel better?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always feel better when people tell the truth.

[ QUOTE ]
My whole point of the story was to show what CAN happen (although EXTREMELY rare) if you drop out of college and decide to go pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

There may have been some point to your story, but this wasn't one of them.

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the latest update: The next time we can see him (my ex-roomate and I who were his "closest friends" throughout college) is on Sunday. I don't know of ONE other person in this WORLD who would go see him or talk to him. Not even his parents.

We're not going to post his bail, but hopefully we can talk to him...maybe get through to him. We will see.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that getting lectured by you will lead him to have some life changing epiphany as he is walking back to his buds on the cellblock.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Going Pro: The Other Side

you can talk about this kid turning his life around all you want, but we all know he's sitting in jail right now figuring out how he's going to get a small roll together so he can go to the local club and check raise all the idiots who work for a living.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We're not going to post his bail, but hopefully we can talk to him...maybe get through to him. We will see.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can pretty much guarantee that the second he realizes you aren't going to bail him out or help him financially in some other way is the second he stops listening to anything you say afterwards and forgets everything you said beforehand.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:55 AM

Wow, that was a real eye-opener. I am currently in my second year of University, and while I have never thought about dropping out to play poker professionally, I have never read anything about someone who did. Its really good to hear that you stayed the course, got your degree and supplement your income with poker. Thats exactly what I would like to do a few years down the line, and who knows, maybe when Im 50 Ill go pro :P
Old 10-06-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My whole point of the story was to show what CAN happen (although EXTREMELY rare) if you drop out of college and decide to go pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

There may have been some point to your story, but this wasn't one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, since you must know better than me, please tell me what point I was trying to make, because obviously I have no idea. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, since you must know better than me, please tell me what point I was trying to make, because obviously I have no idea. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The one you were trying to make is the one you were trying to make. The one you made was about the dangers of compulsive gambling.

Your pal didn't "turn pro" any more than a drug addict who drops out of school to get high more often "goes pro."
Old 10-06-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt that most people would respond this way to going broke. However, thats not to say that there isn't a good message to the story you posted. Next time, you should probably keep your friend's last name confidential. I certainly wouldn't appreciate getting talked about in a public forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

His name is available on the web for things he has done (through the jail registry search). Anyone could have found him there. It makes no difference if I post it on a web based forum. Maybe 300 more people go search for him on that web site, but still, that information is available to the public.

I posted his name and the search to make sure that people didn't think I was just pulling this story out of my ass.