Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Question on a hand from a great old post.

No reads were given, but I don't quite understand the turn raise. Could someone explain it to me?

Is it because bettor might be betting a flush draw? (thinking Hero was just trying to pick up the pot.) How do we know we're still ahead here, or how often do we need to be ahead?

Party Poker 3/6 (10 handed)
Hero has J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and is MP3
MP2(poster) checks, Hero raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, MP2(poster) calls
Flop(6 1/3 SB): J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, BB calls, MP2 calls
Turn(4 2/3 BB): 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB checks, MP2 bets, Hero raises...
Old 06-27-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Question on a hand from a great old post.

The betting isn't consistent with a hand that beats us. If some draw or weird 2 pair hit i'd expect a checkraise. I think you see something like a small pair waiting for a safe turn to bet, or something like A7 more often than a hand that beats you.

So the raise is for value and to knock out the BB, because while our hand is still probably ahead it's still vulnerable, and BB probably has outs. It also gives us the opportunity to take a free showdown if something awful comes on the river, although i doubt that'd be a good option.