Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Internet players only - How many of you \"just\" play?

[ QUOTE ]

I have a problem which I'm sure is costing me EV. I 4-table and cannot seem to stay focused soley on the games for any length of time. I try to give the games 100%, but after a short while I begin to lose focus and I'm reading 2+2, writing an email, or talking on the phone while I play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this same problem when I 4 table. When I six table, I do not have this problem. It's much easier to maintain focus when you have more hands to play. I don't know if this is a good solution or not, but it's something to think about.

[ QUOTE ]
Another problem I have is that I can't seem to play more than a couple of hours without taking a break. In fact, I'm more likely to slack off when I'm having a decent day!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the same way. But I think that's the nature of internet poker. You say you want to stay focused on four tables for your whole session, that's very taxing and I'd be surprised if you were able to play more than a couple hours. Try playing a session, taking an hour break, then playing a couple more hours.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:29 PM

This isn't necessarily a problem. You just have to ask yourself if the entertainment or relaxation or whatever you get out of not focusing is worth the EV loss. Of course, if that EV loss then makes you unhappy, that should be factored in too.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:20 PM

I have found that switching games (i.e. from limit to no limit, or stud) has helped me. I generally do this for a week or two and then when i return to limit i make better decisions and think on a deeper level. I believe because i am not very experienced at other games that it forces me to think about the decisions i must make and this carries over to limit holdem. Also its fun learning other, particularly NL since there is a lot of money to made there. Also I take breaks from internet poker and play exlcusively live for small stretches (one week). Even though I think online poker is more profitable I just cannot play 40-50 hours a week every week. I just can't stay focused on the computer screen. Oh well good luck.

PITS
Old 08-31-2005, 03:38 PM

I used to do more while playing, but lately have been much better about just playing. I don't even have the TV on any more, as it was costing me EV I think. I do still listen to music. Currently, I am 8 tabling SnG's, so I don't have time to really surf or post hands while playing. When I play fewer tables, like a tourney and maybe a couple of NL tables or something I will multi-task some more, but by and large I think removing the distractions improved my bottom line greatly.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:50 PM

I understand what you are getting at here, but do you really think these distractions are hurting your win rate? I ususally 4 table about 3 hrs a day (I am not a full time poker pro). I watch TV, browse the internet etc while playing as well. I just do not come across that many situations that requrie a read beyond what my HUD says.

Don't get me wrong it has to be better to pay full attention, I just do not think it is worth that much, mayeb 0.1BB/100. So the question is, is it worth that 0.1 BB to do those other things while playing? I just cannot resist.....
Old 08-31-2005, 03:59 PM

<font color="red">I just do not think it is worth that much, mayeb 0.1BB/100. </font>

I don't know DpR. I think paying attention is worth considerably more than .1/100. I can tell you this much for sure. I lose much more than .1/100 online than if I were playing these same players live. I attribute much of my loss in edge mostly to 4-tabling Vs. 1-tabling. Some due to things inherent to it being internet and not live. But some is due to not being able to focus as intently on the games.

Even if I'm wrong and you're right, .1/100 comes to over $14/hr. 4-tabling. If you could give yourself a $14/hr. raise by working just a little harder, wouldn't you do it?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">I just do not think it is worth that much, mayeb 0.1BB/100. </font>

I don't know DpR. I think paying attention is worth considerably more than .1/100. I can tell you this much for sure. I lose much more than .1/100 online than if I were playing these same players live. I attribute much of my loss in edge mostly to 4-tabling Vs. 1-tabling. Some due to things inherent to it being internet and not live. But some is due to not being able to focus as intently on the games.

Even if I'm wrong and you're right, .1/100 comes to over $14/hr. 4-tabling. If you could give yourself a $14/hr. raise by working just a little harder, wouldn't you do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you classify 'paying attention' generally I agree its worth more than 0.1, but I was more referring to the difference in attention levels between when you are doing these other things and not. I certainly would not say I do not pay attention when I play. I can recognize the players I need to pay attention to when they are in a hand and watch them play. I do not really need to watch a hand where there are two 20/7/1 players, these do not do much out of the ordinary.

Additionally, I think people think they gain more value by paying super close attention because they make more 'good folds'. I believe that some people are still folding to much (this is just judging by some people that post their stats with what I believe to be slightly low win rates).

It is tough to generalize this though since everyone is different. Perhaps I am a better multitasker and I can gather as much info from the table while doing other things than other people - who knows?

As far as giving myself a $14 raise, no I would not do it. It is a small amount relative to win rate, and I think I would play fewer hrs if I didnt have other distractions. Again, this is total person dependant though.

Basically, I would not start worrying about it unless I was unhappy with my win rate or I noticed myself making more dumb plays. That said, I certainly cannot say it is a bad idea for you to pay more attention!
Old 08-31-2005, 04:56 PM

Of all of those things, I think talking on the phone is the biggest problem for me. I can still play well when watching tv, IMing, or surfing the web, but talking on the phone is too distracting. I tell myself that if I played for a living I would just concentrate on the game and nothing else, but I'm sure I am fooling myself.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:27 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

I don't think this problem is just online. I see many players that get distracted or bored playing live.

One thing I think that happens online with multitablers is many don't develop how to watch hands their not involved in. Instead, relying on PT for most of their reads.

This can also transfer over to live games when online players get bored at the table.

Just a thought, anyways.

b
Old 08-31-2005, 06:39 PM

I think you are being too hard on yourself. what about the arguement that a little variety wards off burnout and makes it easier to play longer or more hours?
I agree that the phone is too much, but music, surfing, chatting on IM are all good I think.

I playing 3 tables of 3/6 right now and still find it therapeutic to post. on my laptop no less!