Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Rake exists: How many longrun winners now?
51+% 2 1.26%
41-50% 1 0.63%
31-40% 12 7.55%
21-30% 23 14.47%
11-20% 59 37.11%
1-10% 62 38.99%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2005, 11:53 AM

Default What I think the problem is............

I think the problem is that Americans view school as almost a sort of punishment. Our school systems are so authoritative and miserable at times.

We go to school and are forced to be silent for extended periods of time, vice principals are a--holes, etc..

We don't appreciate the oppurtunity to learn.. Instead we are being told "do your work.." Our entire philosophy towards school needs to be reevaluated.

In countries where not every one gets to go to public school, the ones who do certainly appreciate their oppurtunity at an education.

School, college, teacher -student relationships all should be looked upon as wonderful things. THE OPPURTUNITY TO RECEIVE AN EDUCATION IS A BLESSING NOT A CURSE.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: The officail \"who needs school thread\"

[ QUOTE ]
The average amount of money made has a lot to do with the fact that people who graduate are more intelligent and have a strong work ethic. If you possess both of these qualities but don't finish school, you're going to succeed.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]
If you possess both of these qualities, chances are you're going to finish school.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The average amount of money made has a lot to do with the fact that people who graduate are more intelligent and have a strong work ethic. If you possess both of these qualities but don't finish school, you're going to succeed.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]
If you possess both of these qualities, chances are you're going to finish school.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-07-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: What I think the problem is............

Sounds like this book

"1. Confusion: I teach too much, and everything that I teach is out of context. The orbiting of planets, the law of large numbers, slavery, adjectives, architectural drawing, dance, assemblies, etc.

2.Class Position: I teach students that they must remain in the class into which they were born, the class where they belong. If I do my job well, my students will be unable to imagine themselves somewhere else. They will envy and fear the upper classes, and have contempt for the lower classes.

3. Indifference: I teach children not to care too much about anything, even though they may desire to do so. I demand that my students become completely involved in my lessons, vigorously competing with each other for my favor.

4.Emotional Dependency: By using stars and red checks; smiles and frowns; prizes and punishments; or honors and disgraces, I force children to become emotionally dependent upon my praise. This ensures my power over them. My students surrender their will to the predestined chain of command. Rights may be granted or withheld by any authority without appeal, because rights do not exist inside a school. Even the right to free speech - free thought as well - is suspended within the confines of the classroom. Individuality is a contradiction of class theory.

5. Intellectual Dependency: Good students wait for a teacher to tell them what to do. This is the most important lesson that is imparted to our children in school: We must wait for other people - better trained than ourselves - to direct us and give meaning to our lives.

6. Provisional Self-Esteem: I teach children that their self-respect should depend upon expert opinion. My student's are constantly evaluated and judged. Report cards, grades, and tests all teach us that children should not trust themselves or their parents, but instead, should rely upon the expert evaluations of certified officials. People need to be told what they are worth.

7. One Can't Hide: I teach students they are always watched; that each individual is under constant surveillance by either my colleagues or myself. This forces my students to behave appropriately, because they fear that someone is watching them, and will punish them if they behave wrongly. There is no private time. Furthermore, I assign a type of extended schooling called "homework," which ensures that the effects of my classroom travel into private households. When students might otherwise use free time to learn something unauthorized from a parent, through exploration, or by apprenticing to some wise person in the neighborhood, they are kept occupied with homework."
Old 02-07-2005, 12:17 PM

Of course. That's why someone who has these things but leaves for other reasons has a lot of things that just don't apply to him.

-Michael