FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Music Theory - Scales

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mixolydian == doh-ray-me

I think. I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah well you're right so far but you gotta listen for the minor septimus. That's the difference between mixolydian and regular major.

This seems like a fairly hard task, you need decent pitch as well as a good knowledge of the components of the various scales and modes.

I would just listen to the different scales and pick up some distinct notes. The major 7 in harmonic and melodic minor is very distinct, but then you have to differ between those two, melodic has a major 6 as well. They both sound kind of middle-eastern.

Jonic is just regular major if I remember correctly. Lydian has a higher 4th note to the major scale, which sounds pretty distinct.

PS. Someone correct me if I am wrong, haven't done any serious musical studies in a couple of years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff, thanks a bunch
Old 12-08-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: Also, how do you tell the difference between a minor 6th, major 6th, minor 7th, and major 7th intervals? Probably hard to describe but they all sound the same to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scales/chords are nothing more than a sequence/combination of intervals. If you do not have your intervals memorized you can not be expected to identify scales and chords.

You need to memorize your intervals first. This is how you do it.

Go to the piano and find the lowest note you can sing. Let’s say that note is A. Start with the perfect 5th interval.

Play the A note and then play the E note a fifth up from the A. Sing the A and then sing the E at the same time you play each note. So, it would go like this: sing A E, A E, la la, la la. Use those syllables that way you memorize not only the sound of the fifth, but also the note names of that interval. Now, sing it backwards: E A, E A, la la, la la.

Next, go up chromatically to the next fifth; A# & E#. Sing: A# E#, A# E#, la la, la la, and backwards; E# A#, E# A#, la la, la la. Go to the next notes- G & D. Do the same thing, G up to D and backwards. Move to G# & D# etc. Continue until you have sung an octave of perfect 5ths. Use sharp notes (call them out as sharps not flats) while climbing up chromatically.

Once you’ve completed an octave of 5ths, start where you ended and now go backwards chromatically in 5ths- E A, E A (these are going down from E) la la, la la. Now, go one half step down- Eb & Ab (call them flats now that you are descending your intervals) and then D down to G etc. until you complete the octave of 5ths finally reaching your initial starting point (lowest note you can sing).

Do this process for twenty minutes each day and after a week or so, you should have the sound of a 5th memorized. If you do not, continue each day until you do. By memorized I mean you should be able to get out of bed, hit a note on the piano, and be able to sing a fifth higher or lower from that note without playing the 2nd note.

After you have your 5ths memorized, learn your 4ths in the same fashion.

5ths
4ths
Oct
Ma3
Mi3
Ma6
Mi6
Tri
Ma2
Mi2
Ma7
Mi7

There you go, 12 weeks and you will have all intervals memorized.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:54 PM

Well, it's too late now, but the way I first learned to memorize intervals was by learning songs or melodies that started with that particular interval- "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" has a major 5th, the bridal march begins with a major 4th, etc.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:54 PM

a good trick for learning intervals is to think of a song you know that's first two notes are the interval you want to memorize. for instance, the theme to star wars starts out with an ascending perfect fifth. happy birthday with an ascending major second. etc.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:57 PM

that's what he means but septimus I don't think is a real word. everyone says minor seventh.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:02 PM

It sounds like you're screwed. Ear training and recognizing intervals by ear is a matter of time and practice from what I've heard. That is, unless you have perfect pitch - but it sounds like you don't.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well my professor gives us three tries to guess what each one is. I think the intervals are gonna be the hardest actually. I gotta know every one including the tritone. Yea I'm probably screwed but I'll be happy with a C if I can somehow manage that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tritone is one of the easiest intervals to here for me. Think of "Maria" from West Side Story. Mah --> Ree is your tritone.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:30 PM

The notes from the beginnings of songs is a good idea. "Somewhere over the rainbow" starts with a major 7th.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The notes from the beginnings of songs is a good idea. "Somewhere over the rainbow" starts with a major 7th.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why using notes from a song is not effective.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:52 PM

How long would it take me, with zero background in music, to be able to learn how to compose a song? Assume I can construct melodies in my head (like "doo-doo-dah-dah-doo") already, and lyrics aren't a problem.