Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 07:45 PM

Default KQJ10

Is KQJ10 non suited a calling hand under the gun in a $5-10 game in an aggresive game? In a passive game?

Just curious what opinions you guys may have........thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: KQJ10

I would fold it rainbow. It is too easy for another straight to be out there. With straights you want to have redraws, and this won't have enough.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:57 PM

I play that one any time I can get my hands on it. Of course, I play mainly PLO8. But even in limit O8, I think it's easy to get away from on a bad flop, and very profitable when the flop cooperates. Even rainbow... how often are you going to be banking on a Q-high flush anyhow?
Old 05-06-2005, 01:34 AM

KQJT rainbow is a trash speculative hand I would not even consider for a raise in limit O8. Straights are for suckers.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:08 AM

For me, only if limping into an unraised pot, in late position, on a loose table, to alter tight table image if flop hits...
Old 05-06-2005, 08:33 AM

Since you are only going to like about one out of four flops, you want to play this hand cheaply against a large field.

It's an easy fold from UTG in an aggressive game. If the game is very loose and passive most pots will be unraised and have large fields. In that type of game you can see the flop from early position.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:01 AM

Continuing on with this thought, from late position I have found that when this flop DOES hit, it is VERY profitable.

I would see this flop from late position in either a loose or passive game.

In a passive game I can knock out other players with two pair and redraws to either a straight or a boat

and in loose games I can get away from the hand for a small bet or two when things don't work out.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:59 AM

I agree. I'll play this from late position when I can limp against a bunch of callers, and drop if I don't see a really favorable flop.

Against fewer players, I'll play it a bit more loosely if I think that the others are playing weakly, and can be pushed off a high flop.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:54 PM

In an aggressive game this would be mucked in a heartbeat. In a passive game it would depend on how many people usually see the flop. This hand will play reasonably well in a family unraised pot and will play poorly in a small pot. If there are usually > 6 people seeing the flop with very few pre-flop raises I will limp with this, if there are less then 6 or there has been pre-flop raising I will throw it away.

Overall I am making money with this type of hand and I am making money with str8s.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:14 PM

In PLO8, however, it is a good holdnig.

In my PTO database, I see that I've played the hand 52 times, win 50% of the time, which gives me 2.5 BB/hand.

For my stats, this happens to be the exact same winrate (BB/hand) as A238, and slightly better than AKK2, incidentally. Now, that's not to say that KQJT is as playable as these other hands, but in the right situation IN PLO8, the hand can (and should) be played profitably.

I can't vouch for limit O8, don't play much limit.