Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Phantom Out

UTG in this hand is pretty tight. 14/8/1.7. Have played a decent amount of hands with him (so much so I am not going to mention level or site.. possible 2+2 or at least a bonus whore). Does not get out of line, and seems to exercise appropriate aggression. The tight passive stats could be a byproduct of the tight passive nature of this particular game. So think maybe a bit too stright forward but thinking.

PF: UTG Villian limps, very loose passive Hi-jack calls, I raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] from the CO, Average BB calls, UTG calls, Hi-jack calls.

Flop: (4-players) (8.6SB) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to me I bet, BB folds, UTG raises, Hi-jack folds, I call

Turn: (2-players) (6bb) K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG bets, I raise

Obviously no more bets are leaving my stack.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Phantom Out

What does a 14/8 player limp with UTG? Range is likely a decent A (AJ, or good Axs), KQ, good suited broadway or a mid pocket pair. Mid pair seems likely after the flop c/r (doesnt sound like the shot taking type).

I think there is a decent chance 14/8 ABC player lets go of that pair when you (assuming tight image) represent the K on the turn. Certainly if the turn was an A, less likely if turn was a Q,J, or T. Even if he doesnt lay it down you likely have 6 outs and a free showdown.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:20 AM

I think that, against the right opponent, this is a good play. (And against the right opponent, you could represent an overpair with a flop 3-bet or turn raise and make this bluff even if a king didn't fall.)

Of course, if he knows you know he might lay down a pocket pair in this spot, then that might give him reason to call down. He also might tell himself that if you actually had a king, you'd just call. Maybe he'll wonder if you turned a flush draw.

Anyway, the more he's playing his standard lines, the more inclined I suspect he'll be to fold.

It's possible I should make plays like this more often than I do. The problem is (for me) that since many TAGs don't take bet-fold lines as often as 2+2ers and I'm usually more focused on the looser spots at the table, I don't trust my read on the TAG enough.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:59 AM

if this is like 5/10 or 10/20 i'd say it's a great play. against any tight, thinking player who wont call down with AQ, TT, 99 etc it's a great play. against a random player with no stats i'd say it's a waste.

did it work?
Old 10-31-2005, 05:03 AM

I like it. UTG will probably fold enoug to make it work.