Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Help a newbie get started...

I've been playing mid stakes limit hold em for a couple months now at Paradise. I started out thinking I was a pretty good player but then soon realized I wasn't. I've taken a break now, read a lot of good stuff in these forums and read SSHE twice cover to cover. I want to get back in the game and build up a badly depleted bankroll.

I have gathered quite obviously that one of the most important things I need to do is to build up a database so that I will know the tendencies of my opponents. So often the correct decision depends heavily on the tendencies of the opponents, not to mention the crucial importance of table selection and seat selection. I see that posters routinely put this info into their posts(e.g. 28/13/1.56) meaning, I assume (VP$IP/PFR/Tot-A). Clearly, knowing this type of information about as many of your opponents as possible is crucial to your long term success, which brings me to the point of my post.

What advice can you give me about getting my own database started? It seems that at Paradise, the only data I can get is from hands that I have actually played myself. Obviously, I would like to gather the data about my opponents and build up my database before losing too much money to the sharks. Table selection is so important... I have downloaded PokerTracker, and I'm now trying to figure out the best way forward.

Any help in getting me started on a solid path is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Help a newbie get started...

I am not sure if this is what you want to hear - but I would advise playing at party. The players are no better (and probably worse) than Paradise. You can datamine 10 tables at a time and will soon build up a database. PT will autoimport all hands played and mined and PAHUD works a treat, showing all the stats you need.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Help a newbie get started...

[ QUOTE ]
I started out thinking I was a pretty good player but then soon realized I wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not being sarcasic when I say this: This is the first step towards becoming a good poker player. Poker is a game where it is very easy to convince yrself you are good when you actually are not.

It seems like you have your head on straight, and are able to handle a little constructive criticism, so here is some: you are not asking quite the right questions. You should be worrying more about aspects of yr own game than "building a database." Now, table selection IS important, and it's good that you realize that, and if you have a bad table you should certainly get up, but you probably need to focus more on strategic play and bankroll management. You cannot be a winning player without good bankroll management. What kind of roll do you have? This should determine the limitsd you play. Also, though you may have read SSHE twice (great start!), you likely have not grasped it all. (It took me like 5 or 6 times, and I might not still have it all down -- and while I don't claim to be a genius I'm not the dullest knife in the drawer.) You would be will served to visit the strategy boards a lot (seems like you already have some). Post some there -- hands and questions! Give some input and don't be afraid to be wrong and get smacked down a litte -- that is how you learn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You MIGHT also consider changing sites. Paradise has pretty good games, but you might be better served at another site. If you play LHE then Party is likely the best place for you.

These are just a few things I'm throwing out there at you.

Welcome to the boards and good luck.

Oh yeah, and STFU n000000b!!~!!11 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]