Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 06:52 AM

Default A chipstack situation I\'m confused about

I know that when I'm shortstacked on the bubble with another short stack the "Play for 3rd" strategy is sometimes best. But do you make any strategy adjustments when you are one of the two smaller stacks but still have 7-8 bb left? For example:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB (t1090)
BB (t2595)
Hero (t1045)
Button (t3270)
Old 12-24-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Re: A chipstack situation I\'m confused about

I tend to remain kind of patient (to a point, of course). Wait to either pick up a hand or for the other guy to go down in flames. Your situation is complicated by the fact that the bigstack is directly to your left.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:19 AM

Yeah, the big stack's position is what has me worried in these types of situations. If the other small stack is directly to my left it makes life a lot better.

I think I'll add another layer to the question: which is the overiding factor in these situations, your chipstack relative to the next smallest stack or your stack relative to the blinds? I definitely push with a narrower range when the stacks are closer and I'm wondering whether or not it's a leak.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the big stack's position is what has me worried in these types of situations. If the other small stack is directly to my left it makes life a lot better.

I think I'll add another layer to the question: which is the overiding factor in these situations, your chipstack relative to the next smallest stack or your stack relative to the blinds? I definitely push with a narrower range when the stacks are closer and I'm wondering whether or not it's a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice question. If the other short stack has so few big blinds left that he is forced all-in very soon, while you are not, you should only push good hands (unless he is directly to your left, but that's not the case here).
If you have more chips than the other short stack, but he also has more than, say, 4 big blinds, don't wait. He could stay alive for a few more orbits and if he doubles up you're screwed.

The call ranges of all players in this situation are very important. If they all have a small call range (they are tight) you can still push many hands.