Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-14-2005, 05:20 AM

Default Re: lexus is250 vs hoopty

I'm bound by my 2+2 oath to give the best advice I can. Believe me, I wanna mess with you and tell you to buy the car. But I'm a square.

Buying a 40k car would be really really dumb. Especially if you live in Waco... Lexus's aren't even cool in Texas. Buy a 2000 Ford pickup and put Bigfoot wheels on it or something. I dunno.. at your age, I think your car budget should be 6-10k max. I paid 16k for my first car, and I regret spending that much (though I do like my car).

You should be saving every last cent you can right now. Just because you're saving some doesn't mean you shouldn't save more. In fact, you should save more. You're probably already spending too much money.

Life is going to be a LOT easier once you hit 30 if you've put than money away rather than blown it on overpriced Japanese junk. You may feel like you're rolling in it now, but you're 19, single, and going to college on a full scholorship. You have zero real expenses.

Once you enter the real world, money's gonna fly out the window like crazy. Price a house and a kid. At least a million. Oops, that condom broke. Another 700k. That money you put away this year will seem like pennies in a few years.

Save your money. You'll need it. (And pay your taxes too while you're at it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 12-14-2005, 05:29 AM

good, but difficult advice. is there a good way to calculate what X amount being spent right now would be worth in Y years? do we just estimate an 8% return on our investments for those years? how about inflation?

i think op should pick one thing he wants, probably this car and spend about 20k on it and save ALL the rest of the money. i think 20k saved now will be worth over 500k in today's dollars upon retirement!
Old 12-14-2005, 10:40 AM

Kid,

The is250 does not cost 40K, not even close.

And you should buy the most expensive car you want, it's your money, piss it away however you like.

J
Old 12-14-2005, 10:42 AM

chisness,

5 minutes with google can answer your question.

J
Old 12-14-2005, 10:50 AM

I would put that money in the highest interest account you can find for a couple of years and put that money on a HOUSE...

IMAGINE throwing parties, keggers and [censored], and how chicks will be all over you because, you know, you have your own HOUSE.

screw the car, just get a Dodge or Ford dump untill you finish your schooling.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:32 PM

jaydub,

the is250 i was looking at yesterday was 42k. it was the closest thing i have seen to a bond car.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I personally would rather have:

G35
Evo 8
E-Class from a couple years ago
M3 from a couple years ago

Hell I dunno, but buying a new car is always stupid. Depends what you like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buying any car on your list is pretty stupid from a finacial point of view. Doesn't mean it isn't the right play in order to maximize your happiness.

As far as cost of owning, go to edmunds and look at the TCO for the various cars you want. Those numbers are not exact but they give you rough ballpark numbers to work with.

And if you are paying 44k make sure you get the 350 and not the 250 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just buy one that's a year old.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is pretty hard to do when the car is only 2 months old. And after 1 year, you are not going to save more than 5-6k (and I think that is being really optimistic). Doesn't really change the equation a whole lot.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:03 PM

I think you should get the car and drive like an [censored]. It will really boost your ego.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:19 PM

kid,

I'm not doubting what the dealer told you, but the list on a 250 is 30K-ish. Paying 40K+ for a car that lists at 30K-ish is a really bad deal unless you get the gold plated option.

J