Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Do I suck? Legends hands

First level
I'm UTG with AA I raise 300 fold around BB calls, Flop 10-X-X, two clubs BB checks,I bet 750, BB call, Turn 10, BB checks I bet 1200, BB calls, River X no club BB checks, I bet, BB chek raises 3000 I call, BB shows 10-6 clubs. Would anyone have folded the checkraise?

5 hands later,
I have KK, LP, It's bet 300 to me, I re-raise to 600, fold around to the original UTG raiser who calls, flop 7-7-3, UTG bets I call, turn X UTG bets I call River X UTG bets I raise all-in, by now I only have $2300 with the previous beat, UTG call and shows AA. Where did I make my mistakes or just bad luck? First hour summary, AJS, QQ, KK, AA and lose all 4, this tournament suckedjavascript:void(0)
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Do I suck? Legends hands

sounds like you suck. yeah.

edit:
let me elaborate. this post sucked. you left out many details against the players that would be crucial in making a decision whether or not to lay down a good hand against. also, it is a bad beat post. lastly, if you didnt suck you would know that losing 4 consecutive hands doesnt make you suck. but since you think that if you lose with AA or KK makes you suck, youre experience/knowledge of the game probably isnt too deep. and thats waht makes you suck.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:52 PM

1) check behind on the river ... if he missed his draw, he can't call your bet. if he calls/raises, you are likely beat.

2) nothing you can do - just unlucky. (not that it would have changed anything but my PF reraise would have been bigger).
Old 08-29-2005, 05:09 PM

You are right, bad play on my part, thanks for the response
Old 08-29-2005, 05:12 PM

First hand I think you should clearly check-behind on the river. If for some reason I bet and then get check-raised there i'd probably fold

2nd hand you playd quite passivey. There was probably no avoiding the outcome, but regardless, raise the flop or if not the flop the turn.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:16 PM

1st hand- Was the blinds 25-50 the 1st level? If so, I think raising it to 300 UTG is a little excessive, generally 3-4x the BB is fine, especially w/ AA since you preferably like a caller or two, but if you had some donks at your table would call any raise I suppose its fine. Flop bet is fine. Turn bet ok, but when he calls you there you def. want to slow down, and check behind on the river. I'd check on the river here almost every time. Seems like you put him on a flush draw since you made a point to mention the non-club river, so why bet? He's not going to call you if he didn't make his hand. Yeah, he could have JJ,QQ or KK and pay your bet off, but he could easily have a hand that beats you or he might try to bluff you with a massive reraise so why make it more difficult for yourself by betting. I'd fold to the checkraise a good amount of the time depending on my read on the villain. If I knew he was capable of bluffing there I'd considering calling, but most of the time it's a fold.

2nd hand- I'd move in on the flop after villain bet into me on the flop and go broke here 100% of the time. You played that hand really passively though, I think you need to raise on the flop and if you know your opponent would only come over the top with AA or a 7 or 33, I might be able to get away from it. Most of the time I go broke here though.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:21 PM

I was being sarcastic with the "do I suck", the tounament was too fresh to get any good reads, sorry if I did not post well, and no I am not a well seasoned pro, I won a satellite entry at the Bike, I mostly play mid-limit (20-40) with good results. My lack of experience is why I posted for my own knowledge to improve my skills. We all strive to improve and there are certainly many knowledgable tournament players in this forum. Thanks for the replies.

Jeff
Old 08-29-2005, 05:31 PM

the raise was excessive but the early action was aggressive and I did want to narrow it down to heads up, I realize now that I opened myself up on the river bet and I should have just checked.
thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 05:46 PM

Cad, the only problem I have with either of these hands is the river call of the chk/raise. I really like the bet at the end because there is a large range of 2nd best hands he can call with. You've got to make the most out of your good hands and checking behind on this river would have been a mistake. Unfortunately, sometimes playing a hand correctly loses you more than if you make a mistake.

CSC
Old 08-29-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've got to make the most out of your good hands and checking behind on this river would have been a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the way the hand was played it's unlikely he has an overpair (maybe mid pair depending on what the 'X's were), unless he's a known passive player. Looks like TX is his most likely holding, as a check-call on the turn really can't be much else besides a draw, and a busted draw won't pay off a value bet on the river. I might think differently had I not seen the results right away but I doubt it. If I thought KK-JJ type hands were at all likely then i might value bet, but I don't think they are. What will he call with here that you beat? KK-JJ are extremely unlikely holdings given how the hand was played. 2nd pair or 99-77 might, but that's not at all certain. His range is wide enough, but I think AT/KT/QT/JT/T9, a set, and clubs should be heavily weighted as his most likely holdings (all of which will either call and win, check-raise or fold), with the hands that you can beat that might call a value bet being weighted lower (as well as fewer in number).