Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 12:42 AM

Default STT basic strategy checklist

OK< starting to get a little bit of a feel for the Party $10/+$1 STT SNG's. Here's what I've got as a series of guidelines:

1) Play tight early: AA-JJ, AKs, AKo, AQs, AJs from EP, Axs, decent suited connectors, and AQ/AJ/KQ type hands in LP after limpers, pocket pairs in LP or if I think I can get in cheap.
2) Open up aggression when blinds hit 50/100. More blind steals and the like.
3) All-in or fold mindset with 8xBB or less. At 4xBB or less, looking for any pair, any Ace, most kings to push with.
4) If my stack is big enough to get into the money by playing tight, tighten up to Level 1-3 tightness standards and wait for the field to be limited to 3 people.

Obviously, no formula can capture optimal strategy, and these guidelines need to be adapted according to who's in the blinds, the table demeanor etc. etc.

How far off base am I?
Old 12-31-2004, 02:51 AM

Default Re: STT basic strategy checklist

I certainly wouldn't pretend to be in the position to say whether your guidelines are good or not, but you might want to check out FAQ for SnG's. Yours look similar to it though.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:53 AM

Points 1-3 look essentially fine. If I was going to pick nits, I'd perhaps suggest limping with all medium/small pairs from practically any position (one exception would be when it's folded to you in late position; on the other hand, you can play pairs for a small raise on levels 1-2 if the pot looks to be multiway), and erring on the tight side when it comes to hands like Axs and suited connectors. I might also suggest that a hand like 89s is probably better for pushing than A4o. But these suggestions would be minor compared to what I have to say about #4, namely: nope. If you have a comfortable/big stack on or near the bubble, you should take advantage of the fact that the medium stacks are trying to outlast the shorties by agressively going after the mediums' blinds. So, open-raise a whole lot when the medium stacks are in the blinds -- but be wary of small stacks who are ready to take a stand, as well as of agressive medium stacks who are itching to come over the top. If you raise with a trashy hand trying to take the blinds and a medium stack does play back, usually resist the temptation to make a "pot-odds" call. And do play tight when facing a raise yourself.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:58 AM

I'd play even tigheter in the first few levels. Premium hands from first 3 or 4 positions, even AQs/AJs are questionable EP and folding isn't far from wrong if it is.
Axs I would only play behind several limpers in LP, the same for suited connectors.

when blinds get 50/100, if you haven't played much, you'll be around 800-950. hence it'll be all-in or fold so it's just about picking your spots.

with a big stack, don't just coast into the money. open up a bit more and lean in favorable situations. on the bubble you can really lean against those that are obviously trying to make it into the money. your goal should be to win.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK< starting to get a little bit of a feel for the Party $10/+$1 STT SNG's. Here's what I've got as a series of guidelines:

1) Play tight early: AA-JJ, AKs, AKo, AQs, AJs from EP, Axs, decent suited connectors, and AQ/AJ/KQ type hands in LP after limpers, pocket pairs in LP or if I think I can get in cheap.
2) Open up aggression when blinds hit 50/100. More blind steals and the like.
3) All-in or fold mindset with 8xBB or less. At 4xBB or less, looking for any pair, any Ace, most kings to push with.
4) If my stack is big enough to get into the money by playing tight, tighten up to Level 1-3 tightness standards and wait for the field to be limited to 3 people.

Obviously, no formula can capture optimal strategy, and these guidelines need to be adapted according to who's in the blinds, the table demeanor etc. etc.

How far off base am I?

[/ QUOTE ]

when your the big stack, bully the medium stacks w/top 40% of hands (ie: q8s).

Try your strat at $10+1 sng. after 100 of them, report your results. I think Aleo's SnG guide gets you 40% ROI at 10+1? (i think the FAQ says what the roi is at 10+1.)
Old 12-31-2004, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Try your strat at $10+1 sng. after 100 of them, report your results. I think Aleo's SnG guide gets you 40% ROI at 10+1? (i think the FAQ says what the roi is at 10+1.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside from the fact that a 40% ROI at the $10s may not be sustainable at all, it's definitely not the case that Aleo's guide alone will get you anywhere near that number. Perhaps 10-15%.

The ROI numbers quoted in the SnG FAQ are rather optimistic.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:06 AM

i agree. your starting hands for the first few levels are WAY too loose. tighten up a lot. i dont play anything in the first 2 levels really. i fold AQ almost always. jacks are a limping hand unless in late position with no one in. thats how i play early.

the key to doing well in sngs is conserving your stack in the early rounds, not building it. if you have a premium hand, by all means play it to get some chips. but the early game accounts for maybe 20% of the game. you make all your money and chips using correct bubble and late game play. period.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:29 AM

Good point.

Levels 1-3, conserve your stack.

Levels 4 up, gamble.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Aleo's SnG guide gets you 40% ROI at 10+1? (i think the FAQ says what the roi is at 10+1.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close. Does it really say that somewhere? Besides, it's not like any simple guide will get you any narrow range of ROI possibilities. Too much depends on how a given player handles tricky situations where some thinking is required. A novice SNG player using that guide might turn a small profit and would probably at least break even.

Regards
Brad S
Old 12-31-2004, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Levels 1-3, conserve your stack. Levels 4 up, gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gamble? 2+2ers don't gamble. We outplay our opponents.

You guys are good players. I don't understand why you are afraid to play hands with bad players. Given the meager stack sizes, you can only really "play" in the first couple levels, so don't waste this opportunity by folding. If things go well and you build your stack, now you have enough chips to "play" in levels 3+ too. You only have 20 hands or so to accomplish this, so there's no time to wait for a monster hand.

I used to play super tight early too. I then started playing more NL side games and actually learned how to play NL. Since I'm a better player, why wouldn't I want to get involved in more hands early, especially when in position?

Once I get to the middle levels and still have only 800, my ability to "play" is quite limited and therefore my advantage is decreased. At the higher levels, you basically "push and pray" and I have no advantage over someone who has no poker skill, but knows how to steal blinds.

I've also read Harrington on Holdem and agree with Harrington. Early on, I am going to pick good spots to try to build my stack. Once I get down to 600, I'll put the brakes on, but until then I'll be calling with a lot of hands in position and trying to buy pots when my opponents show weakness post-flop.

A good player is able to do this without putting their whole stack at risk. I don't understand when 2+2 players are afraid to play hands like AJ in position because they don't want to get into trouble with it. Who says you have to get in trouble with it? If the flop comes, A54 there's no law saying that you have to put all your chips in when someone raises you.