Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: AA - How to Protect My Hand

Nice hand.

To answer yr main question, you can't really protect yr hand here. You just have to make value bet after value bet. Every now and then you get sucked out on (though it can often seem like everytime when you are running poorly). Such is poker and life.

I would rather fold this river than raise it. No way you raise it. I just call (which might well still be a neg EV move).
Old 12-29-2005, 03:06 PM

Grunch:
Preflop and flop are fine. You need to get some bets in on every street while you are ahead. If you wait until the turn you will miss much value.
Turn; Again you bet count is wrong. Learn to use the converter. Flop bets are sb so turn is 9sb or 4 1/2 bb. villian could have any pair but str. dr is likely on this board. A made str. would have most likely raised.
River; Bad card but I call this. He could be using WA/WB with top pair. You'll see a str. here alot but calling is correct IMO. Comments appreciated.
Cat
Old 12-29-2005, 04:22 PM

Anyone agree with this, or is this just plain wrong? The 9 on the turn lowers your pot equity. You have less of a hand to "protect". There are many cards, any 3,7,8,9,10,J,Q,K potentially helps your opponent, whereas the only card that helps you is an A. I don't see this as an autobet or a value bet situation, into 2 callers, with a scare card on the turn. Is it really worth that 1 turn bet here? Because if he misses the river, he check/folds, but if he hits, he gets you for at least 1 more bet. In other words, when he misses you win 1 bet, when he hits you lose 2. Keep the pot size in line with your pot equity. Your equity goes down, so don't put any more money in the pot. Check the turn, you'll be glad you did when you call the river and he shows you 9 10!
Old 12-29-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone agree with this, or is this just plain wrong? The 9 on the turn lowers your pot equity. You have less of a hand to "protect". There are many cards, any 3,7,8,9,10,J,Q,K potentially helps your opponent, whereas the only card that helps you is an A. I don't see this as an autobet or a value bet situation, into 2 callers, with a scare card on the turn. Is it really worth that 1 turn bet here? Because if he misses the river, he check/folds, but if he hits, he gets you for at least 1 more bet. In other words, when he misses you win 1 bet, when he hits you lose 2. Keep the pot size in line with your pot equity. Your equity goes down, so don't put any more money in the pot. Check the turn, you'll be glad you did when you call the river and he shows you 9 10!

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has 9T you are still the favorite to win the hand on the turn.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If he has 9T you are still the favorite to win the hand on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you're giving him 8-1 odds to call. I'm not saying he has 9 10, my point is a lot of hands are getting odds to call here.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:03 PM

He's getting 5.5 to 1 odds to draw on the turn (pot size was calculated wrong) so if hero bets he could be protecting his hand against a lot of different potential drawing hands (any four or five outer). The turn is a must bet.

I'd probably fold the river. I'm rather shocked I'm the only one who would. I don't think you're good 1 out of 9 times. What would make me think twice about the fold is that it might encourage players to take shots at me later on the river. If a really similar hand came up a few hands after this one I'd call the river for that reason.