Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 12-20-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Where do these people come from?

$.25/$.50 No limit game with AA, I raise to $2 and get two callers.

Flop is Jxx with two clubs. A cold caller leads for $1. The other caller calls. I raise to $8. He calls, other caller folds. Turn is a blank. He leads again for $1.

At this point I "know he's on a flush draw and I "know" he's trying to keep me from betting big and get a cheap card. He has like $12 left in a $40 pot, so I'm calling almost any river that's not a flush card. River is a jack that doesn't complete the flush. He leads for $4.50. I call. He proudly tables his Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]..does he really think I'll ever fold this river?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Where do these people come from?

ok

1) he's got the flush draw and an over if he puts in $9 on the flop he's putting $12 more (after his $1) on the turn. you left some money on the table

2) at these stakes raising $2 with AA is big mistake in my opinion. You need to make it a bit more or else you'll get like 7 callers.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
at these stakes raising $2 with AA is big mistake in my opinion. You need to make it a bit more or else you'll get like 7 callers.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is simply not true. His 4xBB raise was just fine.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
at these stakes raising $2 with AA is big mistake in my opinion. You need to make it a bit more or else you'll get like 7 callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just going by my past experience and memory. I haven't played these games in sometime but from my memory guys would call $30 raises or all in with TT, JQs, AJ-AK.

Hell if guys can call $900 with TT preflop at 10/20 I assume they'll call the equivalent at lower levels
Old 12-20-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just going by my past experience and memory. I haven't played these games in sometime but from my memory guys would call $30 raises or all in with TT, JQs, AJ-AK.

Hell if guys can call $900 with TT preflop at 10/20 I assume they'll call the equivalent at lower levels

[/ QUOTE ]
I can sort of see where you're coming from, but you can't just open-raise big time with AA and have everyone fold. Because they will - believe it or not - most of the time. You want action with AA. You need action with AA. If they want to play KTo or A9 against my 4xBB raise, all the better. More money for me in the long run. The $50 tables in general aren't as bad as a lot of people seem to think. You need to play smart poker, no matter the limit. And opening with a huge raise holding AA just isn't smart.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:31 PM

Assuming you play well postflop and can get away from your AA when beat/outdrawn, dont you WANT people calling your raise with junk hands that might get them trapped for a large pot. I know I certainly don't want to steal the blinds with AA, it's worth more than that (I think about 4 BBs/hand on average). 4 BB raise gets nice value out of my aces, while still getting its heads up or 3 handed most of the time, while 5 or higher gets the blinds a much higher portion of the time in my experience.

BTW, isn't discussing poker strategy on this forum sort of a taboo?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:32 PM

I should probably mention that I raised to $14 on the turn..then he had $12 left after he called the raise. I think I left that part out in the original post.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising to $2 is only a 3BB raise.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:38 PM

Raises in NL are generally described by the amount of the BB they are as far as I understand. A raise to $2 in a .50 BB game would be called a raise to 4xBB or a 4x BB raise, likewise a $5 opening bet would be called a raise to 10x BB.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raises in NL are generally described by the amount of the BB they are as far as I understand. A raise to $2 in a .50 BB game would be called a raise to 4xBB or a 4x BB raise, likewise a $5 opening bet would be called a raise to 10x BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is very true.