Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Playing angainst Flush + Straight Drawers

I have a bunch of friends who know jack [censored] about poker, they know you have cards, and what the hands are, but thats about where thier knowledge ends.
I am good friends with them and that's why i continue to play for the little games.

I can't seem to find a good strategy to playing angaisnt them when its clear they are searching for that straight or flush, when i push they normally call, as i see it it's because they love the thrill of hitting thier flush or striaght and owning the other player and looking like they are good.

I started out by making big bets of about 1/2 or 3/4 the pot, and they will almost always call, especially on flushes, even if its a 2 HIGH FLUSH!

I started betting a little less so if they hit, they wouldnt take too much money from me, that saved me money but didnt help too much, (they dont know about pot odds so it didnt really matter), but i bet enough to where a good player would most likely.

I figured the best play would just be to give them bad pot odds for thier flush / straight and overtime it will haunt them? Is this all i should focus on?

I'd really appreciate some honest opinions.

(btw plz dont say "dont play with them, cause that's obvious but if i want to continue, it's a laugh, and a good time)
Old 11-11-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Playing angainst Flush + Straight Drawers

Simple: give them the incorrect odds to make calls (i.e. bet big). If they hit, oh well, thats the nature of the game! Over the long run, you'll make money by betting strong like this.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Playing angainst Flush + Straight Drawers

[ QUOTE ]
I figured the best play would just be to give them bad pot odds for thier flush / straight and overtime it will haunt them? Is this all i should focus on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much. They will miss their draw often enough that you'll come out ahead over the longer run. You'll end up winning a lot of small pots and missing on some larger ones, but thats OK, because guys like these don't notice that you're nickle-and-diming them to death.

Also, start playing more single-high-card suited and connector hands (e.g. AXs, 98o). They are going to be going to the river often anyway, and will often do so cheaply, so you're getting great implied odds on those types of hands.

Similarly, overcards go down in value in such situations, especially OOP, so play stuff like AJ or KJ carefully and don't get too invested in the pot with them.