Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 02:14 PM

Default WSoP Jennifer Tilly/Phil Laak encounter

The day before i left Vegas, i used my $10 WSoP food voucher to eat at the Rio buffet for breakfast. While eating, i saw Jennifer Tilly and Phil Laak enter, but i put it out of my mind since i didn't care much. Anyway, as i went up to get seconds, Miss Tilly, with her back turned, sidled right in my path as i was walking by to get to a different section. My response: "Holy crap! I just almost ran over Jennifer Tilly."

She said, "Hi!" offering her hand to shake and we started chatting. I congratulated her on her WSoP Ladies win and asked about how her Main Event went (not well). Mr. Laak then came up and i mentioned how he had been getting a lot of crap on Mr. Sklansky's 2+2 forums about how his girlfriend had more WSoP bracelets than he did. They both good-naturedly chuckled. He said that he hadn't checked out the online forums in awhile since he was too busy playing, but that he oughtta come here in order to defend himself.

At this point, i was ready to leave them alone, because i don't like harassing celebrities, but Mr. Laak kept talking, asking about me and talking about a series of heads-up Limit Holdem matches he was playing versus a new computer program down at Binions. He even went into detail about how his Limit skills were lacking and his strategy for future matches.

I've never cared for the Unabomber's antics too much on my television, but i found him quite likeable in person. It was quite cool that he was being so openly friendly to some random schlub like me when i was interrupting his breakfast.

For those wondering, Miss Tilly is still quite conventionally pretty at 10:15 in the morning even without makeup.

p.s. The day before, while i was eating dinner at a Bellagio poker table waiting for a seat to open up, i saw Mr. Sklansky getting ready to start a game. I had to say "hi" and introduced myself as the "brain surgery guy" from the 2+2 forums. He hadn't seen my posts, which isn't too surprising given the volume here. Anyway, as i had just received an overly generous share (according to TPfAP) as co-chip leader in a Limit tournament earlier that afternoon, i mentioned that i felt like i should really tip him instead of the dealers. He agreed that i should, but as he was sitting in front of $20K of chips and i only netted about $800, i didn't think my tip would mean much so i stiffed him...
Old 07-20-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: WSoP Jennifer Tilly/Phil Laak encounter

I met both of them at Binions during the final day of the ME and I can tell you that Phil is actually a really nice person to talk to, compared to the jackass he portray's on TV
Old 07-20-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I met both of them at Binions during the final day of the ME and I can tell you that Phil is actually a really nice person to talk to, compared to the jackass he portray's on TV

[/ QUOTE ]

"jackass" and "nice person" do not have to be mutually exclusive terms.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:04 PM

The couple stopped by my 2/5 NL table at the Bellagio. IIRC we were in the middle of a hand and they tried to talk one guy into calling another guy's raise. It was pretty funny, although I got the feeling the raiser wasn't quite as amused as the rest of us. All the guys agreed Tilly looked better in person than onscreen while the women thought the opposite.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always wondered where everyone's hatred for Phil comes from. He's a clown, not a jackass. He's goofy not rude. A character that I've always seen to be good for the game. So he has some over-the-top showmanship sometimes, why is that a BAD thing? It's interesting that people are so quick to put labels on those they view as "out of line" and then end up recanting those labels.

TV is entertainment, and I'll take a table of Phil Laaks and Mike Matusows over a table of Barry Greensteins and David Sklanskys for my entertainment every day of the week. David's good at writing books. Phil's good at entertaining. Why can't it just be what it is... Besides, they're both great at playing poker!
Old 07-20-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but as he was sitting in front of $20K of chips and i only netted about $800, i didn't think my tip would mean much so i stiffed him...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet. good job.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always wondered where everyone's hatred for Phil comes from. He's a clown, not a jackass.

TV is entertainment, and I'll take a table of Phil Laaks and Mike Matusows over a table of Barry Greensteins and David Sklanskys for my entertainment every day of the week. David's good at writing books. Phil's good at entertaining. Why can't it just be what it is... Besides, they're both great at playing poker!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it is entertaining. But at the WPT Bad Boys fo Poker i think he antics were a bit excessive. I'm not saying its not entertaining its juts that it gets old real fast. On a side note I can never grow old of Phil Hellmuth, that guys cracks me up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 02:46 AM

I bumped into them at Ghostbar and she was wearing her WSOP bracelet, which I just thought was great. I also agree that she looks very nice in person.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:54 AM

Anyone else expect to see the word "menage" when they opened this thread?
Old 07-21-2005, 11:40 AM

Phil is a good guy and he is definitely friendly enough to talk your ear off. Nice post.