Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 01:28 AM

Default JJ vs Flush Draw

This was a hand that I played tonight that I was unsure of. When I sat down at the table the game was very loose, but had tightened up while I was playing.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Lots of action preflop here in comparison to what happened in previous hands. GSHE says to raise JJ but to fold on a raise and reraise. It doesn't mention anything about when you raise and get reraised so I was a little unsure if I should call or fold.

Flop: (13.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

I like the low cards here, but the two clubs makes me a little nervous. The two calls suggested to me that I'm up against players with either two overcards or a straight draw. My thinking was that one of them would have raised with AA, KK or QQ.

Turn: (8.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

This is probably where I was the most unsure. Is betting here a good idea? I was hoping that they had two overcards, or were slowplaying with a higher pocket pair, and would fold being afraid I made my flush. Should I check instead and see what they do?

River: (11.20 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

The king doesn't scare me too much because I'm thinking that two overcards would have folded on the turn. Should I check/call here instead?

Final Pot: 15.20 BB
Old 07-15-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Re: JJ vs Flush Draw

folding pf for an additional 2 bets would be a huge mistake.

this is how I see it:
flop - these are great cards for you. don't be scared of the clubs, the backdoor flush possibility strengthens your hand. bet.
turn - think about their range of hands. this likely didn't improve anyone. bet.
river - crap. check and call one bet, fold for two.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:40 AM

Looks perfectly fine to me. You can't check the turn because it just begs them to take a shot at you, and you're left wondering if you should fold your overpair (hint: no).

On the river, you can't let a single overcard scare you; he might have it but odds are he doesn't. It's a bummer with the donkraise, but the pot's large, so you just have to bonk your head and call. the raise. I wouldn't be surprised if he had though, maybe AKo with the king a club.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

river - crap. check and call one bet, fold for two.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-15-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The king doesn't scare me too much because I'm thinking that two overcards would have folded on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt loose players would fold 2 overcards on the turn. Even tight players will call and see the river in a pot this size, especially if they have a high club.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:44 AM

Preflop, Flop and Turn are all good.

I just check call the river here. It is VERY rare that you are going to see a river raise bluff here with 3 clubs on the board and an overcard. Expect to see AK sticking around here.