Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: NL holdem $50
My Best Roi 9 100.00%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2005, 09:13 AM

Default Preflop limping quiz

So I'm having a little trouble with my vpip at 3/6 Party, 13.3% (I have the same number from SB!) over ~3000 hands (it's not much but enough to judge vpip). I think most of these hands are marginal limps I'm missing. So I've done a little quiz about preflop limping, all hands I think is close (but probably is not). Assume an average 3/6 table for a playe with decent table selection (some loose players at the table, but still 3-5 TAGs). Usually I always take my reads/stats of the players yet to act and those who have already limped in consideration, but let's just asume an average table. Also feel free to post what you do think the action of a 13% vpip player would be in this situation.

Hand 1:
Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero...

Hand 2:
Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero...

Hand 3:
Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, Hero...

Hand 4:
Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero...

Hand 5:
Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero...

More posts like this are to come.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Preflop limping quiz

I fold all of these except for the JTs. What's your attempt to steal %? I realized that I fold a lot, my VPIP is 16, too tight by most standards but much looser than yours, but it might be b/c my ats% is at about 35 or so.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold all of these except for the JTs. What's your attempt to steal %? I realized that I fold a lot, my VPIP is 16, too tight by most standards but much looser than yours, but it might be b/c my ats% is at about 35 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that's too tight. How much better is JTs UTG than J9s after a limper? Not much at all if any IMO. I have some thoughts about the quiz, but I'm going to wait posting them. But as it seems now I'm getting even more worried since I don't know where I have lost my vpip. Somehow a couple of percentage have disappeared and I don't know where to find them if not here. I don't think they effect my winrate by much though.

My attempt to steal blind is 33%. I don't know at all if that's a good number since I've never heard much about it, plese comment it. I have a pfr from button and CO of 16% so I think I steal enough and use my position well. That's why I posted suspected limping marginal hands were my problem.

I want more thoughts so keep posting and voting!
Old 06-02-2005, 09:52 AM

Most of these hands are 'texture' hands, meaning that what you do depends on the texture of the table. Do you have 4 rocks behind you or do you have 4 loooose players. These are hands that go well in a multiway pot but are easily dominated heads up. Limp with most of these hands if you can expect 5-6 way action on the flop, but fold if you think that it'll be heads up or 3 way.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:58 AM

My choices aren't all options in the poll, so I guess I'll just respond this way.

Hand 1: I'd probably call, but I have a sentimental fondness for J9s, as it was the first hand I was ever dealt in a B&amp;M game. (I folded then. I wouldn't now, at that table. Edit: You don't have to post at my B&amp;M, by the way, but get dealt in immediately instead, unless you're on the Button, when you have to wait a hand.)

Hand 2: I'd fold, most likely.

Hand 3: I'd fold or raise, depending on what I thought of MP2 and the players behind me.

Hand 4: I'd limp. If there's a good chance of a raise behind me, I'm not sure limping is actually best, though (in my PT database, I'm losing with JTs, at the moment).

Hand 5: I'd probably complete. I don't know what's best here.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:03 AM

easy easy easy limp fold (raising depends).
Old 06-02-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of these hands are 'texture' hands, meaning that what you do depends on the texture of the table. Do you have 4 rocks behind you or do you have 4 loooose players. These are hands that go well in a multiway pot but are easily dominated heads up. Limp with most of these hands if you can expect 5-6 way action on the flop, but fold if you think that it'll be heads up or 3 way.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can almost never suspect to get 6 way action in 3/6 after only 1 limper. As said in the post, assume a mix of TAGs, decent playes and loose players behind. 1/3 TAGs 1/3 20-25% vpip and 1/3 32+% vpip maybe.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 5: I'd probably complete. I don't know what's best here.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I'd raise or fold this. The limp on the button suggests button is poor so I would like to get it HU and/or improve my chances of taking the pot UI on the flop.

Edited again
Old 06-02-2005, 10:30 AM

I'm dumping all but the last (which I'd call).

I voted to fold the last one, but I didn't notice we were SB.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:39 AM

It really does depend on the table. If you have one limper in, plus you, plus the two blinds, thats 4 way action. IF you have two loose passives (VPIP 50+, PFR &lt; 5), I think these are safe limps. If you have a row of TAGs behind you, muck it.