Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 02:25 AM

Default AJ is giving me trouble.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

UTG is 10/6/1.8 through 87 hands. Mighty tighty.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB checks.

What do you make of limping here?

Flop: (4.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Turn: (2.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero ?

<font color="red">What the hell am I doing here?</font>
Old 05-27-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: AJ is giving me trouble.

Raising.

Liam
Old 05-27-2005, 03:30 AM

and then would you bet the river too?
Old 05-27-2005, 03:38 AM

Obviously UTG is hella tight, and this is a cheap hand of 1x BB. And the River could put you somewhere you never wanted to be on the first place. There is a lot of bad case river scenarios that could trap you vs. a player as tight as this one. I'd lay it down...
Old 05-27-2005, 03:52 AM

Jesus would like it if you raised preflop.

Raise the turn.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

why raise the turn? there is very little fold equity from this play, he's usually not best and if he gets 3 bet he's getting close to odds to hit a jack (which could prove to be expensive) or a king, so he'll be getting lots of money in with the worst hand. this seems like a routine fold.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:58 AM

Against almost any other player, I'm raising here. Against a guy this tight, I'm folding in a small pot. If I'm losing money by folding here, it cannot be more than the minimum of 2bb it will take to continue.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

why raise the turn? there is very little fold equity from this play, he's usually not best and if he gets 3 bet he's getting close to odds to hit a jack (which could prove to be expensive) or a king, so he'll be getting lots of money in with the worst hand. this seems like a routine fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm confused maybe. I couldn't figure out what a tight player checks on the flop, then bets on the turn. Also, there is a lot of fold equity, since tighter players make tighter folds. This will be very easy to dump to a 3-bet.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

UTG is 10/6/1.8 through 87 hands. Mighty tighty.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB checks.

What do you make of limping here?

Flop: (4.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Turn: (2.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero ?

<font color="red">What the hell am I doing here?</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the replies. Feeling flustered I saw only the bad and folded here. More on this in a moment. Turns out UTG held 99 and MP1 had J9.

A little background on TripleH:

I was a championship pool player in college. This required playing a shot while planning the next, and the next...the rest of the game basically.

In poker I find myself making plays without a plan for the rest of the hand. Or more accurately, when something unexpected happens I get lost. THIS IS MORE EVIDENT NOW THAT I AM MULTI-TABLING!

I am not sure if I have an exact question here. I believe I have reached a point where I need to work harder than ever to improve. The point where I am either going to put in the work or resign myself to being a recreational player only...

Thanks for all your time and effort here, TH.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:47 PM

I'd be inclined to raise the turn (and fold to a 3 bet). If you get as far as the river, and it's not a scare card, I'd call. In this instance the range of scare cards is pretty big. Diamonds, 9, K, A, Q, T. Seems like it'll be an even harder play on the river.