Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Psychological Strength Training

Is there any way to become more comfortable with higher swings? Does the brain slowly build up a tolerance for it? I've progressed over the past year from micro-limits all the way up to 15/30 and 20/40. Obviously, a $1,000 swing a year ago would have been mind-boggling to me, but a $6,000+ swing is, while not peanuts, easily conceivable within the realm of possibility for me, now. Clearly, comfort level with swings is partially a function of bankroll...but is there a way to build yourself to become more comfortable with large swings, besides just continuing to go through them?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Psychological Strength Training

I'm pretty sure there are certian parts of the brain you can damage that are responsible for the emotional responce to losing money that you value.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure there are certian parts of the brain you can damage that are responsible for the emotional responce to losing money that you value.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats an interesting idea. I have no idea if its even remotely scientific, but building up higher risk tolerance feels like building scar tissue from time to time.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:36 AM

Moving from .1/.2 to .25/.50 online is like a brainfuck for me.

I wish there was a secret. I think the key is like cooking. Add a little at a time, and soon you have smooooooth batter.

I watch the food network a lot.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:43 PM

I tilted badly during the summer while at the Wynn ($4-8) with some friends. I had enough sense to get up. Later I talked to one of the guys we went with who lives in Vegas and plays for a living. I asked him how he dealt with terrible, terrible runs and the frustration. He said it just didn't bother him anymore, he'd seen so much of it. I think it's just a matter of time. Internet poker allows people to move up very fast if they can, but that means you haven't necessarily spent very long at any one limit. I think if you grind through for a year or more at the same limit, swings you've already experienced many times before are no longer that big a deal (been there, done that).