Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Turn c/r bluff

Working on the move up to 3/6 and trying to mix it up a little and play less straight forward. Against an aggro opponent is this a good spot to give it a try?

I have Villan at 20/15/2 over 20 hands

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>
Old 06-02-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Turn c/r bluff

Why wouldn't you 3-bet this preflop?

I don't think this is the right situation for a turn cr. My reasoning... The only hands he's folding are ones you're ahead of. If I'm the villian in this hand I'm not giving you credit for a 6, 3 or 9 based on your preflop cold call. If I've got A high I'm calling your cr, if I've got a pp there's a pretty good chance I'm going to reraise back at you.

RH
humble at 2/4
Old 06-02-2005, 05:52 PM

I like that kind of play against people who whine a lot....ya know The Poker Coach at the table..... they like to make themselves feel good about lay downs... I also think this play works best when scare cards hit.. bottom line it has to be against a guy who will fold for one more bet and I can't imagine there are a lot of those guys on Party..
Old 06-02-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad spot for 3-betting preflop. Steal raises generally don't come from MP1. Hero is out of position and KQ is a potentially dominated hand.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:59 PM

I don't really like this bluff because you have very few outs to fall back on, and you have not showed strength up until this point. what are you trying you represent? a 6 or a 9 is a hard sell to any thinking player who has seen you play, as well as 33--and even if they buy it, they'll call you down with anything better than A-high (and I'd expect A-high to call you down here sometimes). and he simply shouldn't believe you have any pocket pair at all, because it was a threeway pot on the flop. (heads up is a different story.)

but if you've seen your opponent make a fold like this (which I would expect for a player with 20% vpmip), then go ahead. it only needs to work better than 2/7 times to be correct (which is a lot). the only danger is that if you hit a K or a Q on the river, you are frequently still behind.a a checkraise on the flop might've been better.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:00 PM

I think it's a good play against the right player. Given this opponent, whose range of PF raising hands is probably pretty big, I prefer c/r'ing the flop and leading the turn, but would certainly do so sparingly.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad spot for 3-betting preflop. Steal raises generally don't come from MP1. Hero is out of position and KQ is a potentially dominated hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your absolutely right of course. I was lazy and hadn't paid attention to position (don't worry, I do when I'm at the table [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )

RH
Old 06-02-2005, 06:25 PM

At the time I was thinking of representing the 6 or 9 as you said and hoping to fold out overs. What if I had an ace say AT or something, is it more resonable here or am I still getting called down by better aces and pp?
Old 06-02-2005, 06:50 PM

I don't like it because:

- Your king can't beat a weak ace or a low pocket pair
- Your only outs may be tainted
- This guy is loose enough to call you down
Old 06-02-2005, 06:52 PM

What is the plan if villain...

Calls the turn raise?

3-bets the turn?