Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: NL holdem $50
My Best Roi 9 100.00%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Some analysis

I tend to look at a hand like j10s utg as a questonable hand to be playing out of that spot. Hands like that I tend to raise up. Make a hand like KJo call a raise to play.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Preflop limping quiz

[ QUOTE ]
Oh crap so I'm not the only guy with vpip > 15 at Party 3/6. And I must say 13.3 is pretty low.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good to hear I'm not alone. I have a theory:
By not playing these really marginal hands that puts me in tough decision postflop and still just give me a little profit I can put this effort in finding better tables or even play one table extra (4%*4 = 16%, a table!). At least I think the hands i play don't effect my winrate by much, but i still like to find them.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Some analysis

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to look at a hand like j10s utg as a questonable hand to be playing out of that spot. Hands like that I tend to raise up. Make a hand like KJo call a raise to play.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never tested to reverse the logic when playing poker, does it work?

Honestly, why raise?
Old 06-02-2005, 11:45 AM

I have a pretty easy time limping all of these as long as the table isnt pfr crazy. But that is coming from someone with a vpip of 21% making lame attempts to get it under 20.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:48 AM

My vpip is 18% and I fold every one of these hands. All those hands play well in multiway pots. One limper does not make a multiway pot.

Plus I feel like I am pissing money away when someone raises behind me with one of these hands.

There must be better hands than these that you are folding too often.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There must be better hands than these that you are folding too often.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll keep my preflop posts coming until I've found my leak.

I very rarely limp hands like ATo/KTo/QJo. Hands like that are going to be my next subject.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:22 PM

I found it interesting that I voted differently for Hands 1 and 3 while nearly all the votes seemed to be the same for the two hands. I will sometimes limp J9s in MP1 after a limper, but will usually fold Q9s in MP3 after a limper. But after thinking about it, Hand 3 seems stronger than Hand 1.

Did anyone else vote differently for Hands 1 and 3? If so, why?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:28 PM

I fold them all except J10s also...unless the table conditions are perfect. for example:

you are saying "assume a typical table". well my table (table selection) generally have atleast 3 weak LPP type of players. sometimes LAP, sometimes LAA (which i dont prefer as much)

hand 1...probably still fold. If you were in later position and had a 1 or 2 more in the pot then call.

hand 2...if there were 2 or more LPP players yet to act (in other words, are you getting 4-5 to every flop UNRAISED)..then it might become a call...i actually like the 1-5 as a kicker better than a 6 or a 7 because of the wheel)

hand 3...I will occasionally (very) get to play this hand from the CO or the button..again, I like to have 3 or 4 already in and the pot not raised.

hand 4...LOVE JTs. every str8 it makes is the nut. easy fold if you hit top pair and there is action (with no live draws) very rarely dominated if its raised behind you (In fact I like to use this hand to get a raise in sometimes from MP or better to mix up my game

hand 5...I would rather have 1 or 2 more players in the pot to play it. However, if the SB was 1/2 the BB, I would play it (ex. $2-$4) you getting enough on your investment in my opinion

thats me
Old 06-02-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Results

Ok, so i guess I haven't found my leak yet since these limps seems marginal. FWIW, this is how I played them:

Hand 1: Fold
Hand 2: Call
Hand 3: Fold
Hand 4: Call
Hand 5: Fold

J9s I think I should have limped. Q9s I'm not sure since my position also makes a raise possible. JT from SB I raise or fold. If I decide I can invest 2/3 SB i think it's worth a raise to fold the BB and buy folding equity on the flop. The button limper seems weak.

So now I'm going to check my of suit broadways (ATo/KTo/QJo) I think these are hands I could play more. It's usually raise or fold for me unless I'm in a blind.´

There's also a risk my vpip is low because I'm not playing the way I think i do. When busy table selecting I might fold hands I should play just because I use to from most position and I don't realise the situation I'm now in is profitable. I might also play a little weak at the beginning at 3/6 just because I want to do well and not risk anything playing marginal hands. That's not good, but in that case my vpip will increase.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
J9s I think I should have limped. Q9s I'm not sure since my position also makes a raise possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you worry more about a raise in Hand 3? You're MP3 in Hand 3 whereas you're MP1 in Hand 1. With 2 limpers, I don't think any late position players will raise hands any differently than they would otherwise.