Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Re: my shortest session ever

Yeah, some of them read like they're trying to be Joseph Conrad. And others are very simplisitic, in an Irving Berlin kind of way. My guess is McCartney was Conrad and Lennon was Berlin, although most would imagine the opposite.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: I don\'t like it.

[ QUOTE ]
But for most people who would buy Tommy's lessons, most of the games they'll play in are good already. What they really need are better strategy and hand reading skills, neither of which I think Tommy could teach well.
Plus, Greenstein's book costs $30, not $5K.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, Andre Agassi could have just read Brad Gilbert's book and saved a ton of time and money.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Non 2+2 book = good?

BLASPHEMY!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason gave it a 10.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:41 AM

Seems to me that the "overt a-hole" as someone else described him would have really tested your emotions and self-control in this game, possibly facilitating tilt, which is something (from reading some of your posts) you are trying to rid of for the most part. I think it's very solid to up and leave a game if you find the conditions are such that they will get you out of your regular comfort zone and present you with challenges you may not be able to overcome. I may be way off-base with this analysis, of course, but so is the original post for being posted in this forum.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: I am seriously and sincerely impressed (no joke).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah it will be awesome when you are 40 years old "grinding" it out on a 20/40 tables... sounds awesome...

[/ QUOTE ]

In all seriousness, if I could turn 100 dollars an hour like tommy playing live, I would be happy "grinding" it out.
Thats a doctor's salary. You set your own hours. It's not for everybody, but probably very fullfilling to people who know how to fill up their lives with things besides poker on top.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you continue to do that if you could make $150-300 an hour or more playing online?
Old 09-24-2005, 01:30 AM

Default Re: I am seriously and sincerely impressed (no joke).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah it will be awesome when you are 40 years old "grinding" it out on a 20/40 tables... sounds awesome...

[/ QUOTE ]

In all seriousness, if I could turn 100 dollars an hour like tommy playing live, I would be happy "grinding" it out.
Thats a doctor's salary. You set your own hours. It's not for everybody, but probably very fullfilling to people who know how to fill up their lives with things besides poker on top.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you continue to do that if you could make $150-300 an hour or more playing online?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] However, I do still play live sometimes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2005, 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not talking about $$ being the oint of life.. just the point of why i work at poker.. Yes i enjoy it to, but i wouldn't be playign 60hours/week if i had all the money i wanted...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing you play 60 hours a week. Life might hit you in the ass if you had time to go outside.

One of the lovely things about poker is that you can make a good chunk of change in a relatively small amount of time. If you make in excess of 40 dollars an hour and you don't have a coke habit to feed, why on earth would you work that much?
Old 09-24-2005, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TSP and I think alike. I have nothing personal against Tommy (I have never met him), but I don't like the idea that some suckers are paying 5k for lessons with someone who does not play the limits that most good players play on. It feels like a ripoff and there can be much better things you can put that $ towards (bankroll?)

Being a very strong 100-200 and higher player I would still feel very guilty about charging some 22 year old kid 5k for my time, even though I have no doubt that my fixed limit advice would me much better than Tommy's.

The situation reminds it about a kid in my town that charged an old lonely lady $40 to shovel her steps during the winter only because they knew that she was so alianated from the world that she did not know how to find out about someone that would be happy to do it for $10. So unlike most of the 2+2ers I do not see Tommy Angello as some hind of a hero.

Just my opinion,

-E

[/ QUOTE ]

So, this kid buys in for 5k at your table, which you happily take feeling no remorse along the way, but if he wanted to pay you the same 5k for poker lessons, you have a moral dilemma?

If someone doesn't want to do the research before shelling out 5k, that's their call. It's not like it's that bloody hard.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd doubt you'd here a professional like Chip Reese saying "I can't play with this tilting [censored]".... give me a break... quit making excuses for him....

[/ QUOTE ]

This is part of what you don't get. It wasn't that he couldn't, it's that he didn't want to. Your immaturity doesn't allow you to see that distinction though.

I really hope you save all your posts here and then re-read them in 10, 20 and 30 years and see what you think. The world isn't as black and white as you think.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thats fine if you aren't movitated to be very successful and have a low tolerance for risk and dont' want to do much professionally with your life.... if that makes you happy fine.....

It's kind of funny how all the people who talk about not caring about $$ much are the same people who don't have any $$.... funny how that works...

How about your just too lazy or not smart enough, etc as an actual possibility why people aren't as successful...

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe not everyone defines their own personal success as narrowly as you do?