Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Blind steal gone good…slow play or take it down?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t6000 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP3 (t11780)
Hero (t95057)
Button (t68552)
SB (t148424)
BB (t148350)
UTG (t24540)
UTG+1 (t44478)
MP1 (t86124)
MP2 (t77596)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t12000</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls t6000.

Flop: (t27000) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">

hero?

My thoughts -- torn between wanting to secure the pot now since the board is so draw heavy and wanting to extract more value if he might take a stab at the pot on the turn if a J-A comes. If i bet here, how much should I bet? Half the potish to look like a standard continuation bet, or push all-in to make it look like a semi-bluff? If I check, how should i play the turn if a card that completes a draw comes out?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Blind steal gone good…slow play or take it down?

bet whatever your standard continuation bet is..
Old 11-29-2005, 10:56 PM

that hand reminds me alot of the hand for the masters thread. Shorter stacks interms of BBs, but yeah the flop is a bet of whatever is standard for you, and just play a turn.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:41 PM

whatever you do dont check
Old 11-29-2005, 11:56 PM

Yea your standard continuation bet would be the best play. Villain may very well reraise you thinking the flop was unlikely to have hit you.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:00 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone, just wanted to check my line, I bet 12000 and he folded, just wanted to make sure I wasn't leaking too much value all over the place. I guess I was just hoping for a raise, but most of the time in that spot i'm really hoping not to be raised, so its probably just as well.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:37 AM

About the steal. Dunno how the table was playing, but would you really expect a 25BB stack to fold to a minraise with all that dead money in there?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:38 AM

I don't like the miniraise either. BB calls with just about any random hand here. Therefore I think its important to win this hand on the flop. You really have no range for him and board is nasty. I bet the pot and dont get tricky.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea your standard continuation bet would be the best play. Villain may very well reraise you thinking the flop was unlikely to have hit you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-30-2005, 02:43 PM

This is a good point and one I tend to struggle with late in tournaments. There seems to be a point in a tournament at which typical preflop raises are reduced from 3x to 2.5x and then very late from 2.5x to 2x. Normal raises at the table were just min-raises and the blinds in general were not defending, so it seemed unnecessary to risk more chips since minraises seemed to have so much folding equity. Should i just buck the trend and continue raising 3x the bb? If so i might be pricing myself in to call a push in some cases that i really don't want to call with 86s, but i do want to make this steal often enough.

So to answer your question, yes, i thought he might fold to a minraise, but this was based largely on the table dynamics and I probably should have taken into account his stack size as being more likely to defend, thanks for pointing that out...quite helpful.