Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Royal LHE on Ub

The thing that amazes me about this game is how much goes up in rake. Especially as idiots keep raising on boeard straights with no flushes possible. The bad player is saved a lot of money since split pots happen a lot (board straights plus same full houses).
Old 11-07-2005, 01:10 AM

No chit, it does makes sense to bet one time but not raise and cap it just because. There was 4 of a kind on the board with an ace kicker with no royal possible and one guy did fold.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:45 PM

Raise the river when the board makes a straight. I've had plenty of people fold to it.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:39 AM

Never played it. I don't know if UB uses burn cards. I know Stars does not. If no burn cards, then at most you could play 7 handed (14 cards out + 5 on the board). If burn cards are used, then 6 handed is the max. I assume you can play one or none from your hand (ie that the game is Holdem).

Once all the cards are out, one and 2 pair hands are meaningless. 2 pair only has value as a draw.

Clearly, flushes impossible to get. Only royal straight flushes are available in the game. Even if you flop a "4 flush", you only have 1 out in 15 unseen cards. Drawing to the royal would usually be a sucker bet. Thus, playing a suited hand is usually wrong.

By the same token, if there is a 3 flush on the board by the river, there is only 1 possible hand out that can be a royal. In a 7 handed game, if you don't have any of the suit, there is a 1/66 chance that someone was dealt the royal.

With a 4 flush on the board, it is nealy 100% that someone was dealt a royal. Whether they are still in the hand is another question.

If the board doesn't pair, everyone will have a straight.
If the board pairs once, there will likely be multiple straights out with the significant chance of losing to a boat. If the board pairs twice, then there probably is only one straight out, but boats and quads rule. And all straights can do is tie. If all you have is a straight, you don't have much. Flopped straights have terrible reverse implied odds. Thus, playing an unpaired hand is usually wrong.

So that leaves you with playing pocket pairs. There are 20*19/2 or 190 starting hands. 30 of them are pocket pairs. So, you have a much better chance of getting one than a 52 card deck (78/1326).

Note: in a 7 handed game, if you have a pocket pair, then there is usually 1 more pocket pair out on average. (25 pocket pairs left in (19*18/2=) 153 possible starting hands left * 6 remaining players). So being dealt TT is not a cause for celebration.

Once you get a pocket pair, you have a much better (23%) chance to flop a set than a regular game, and a 6% chance to flop a boat. Once you flop a set, you have 7 outs in 15 unseen cards to boat or better on the turn, then 10 outs in 14 unseen cards to boat or better the river. With that pot equity, you should be ramming and jamming your sets.

So, the name of the game is boats (and quads). Boat over boat will be common, so JJ and especially TT should be leary.

Just my 2 cents.

PS If you can get in cheaply, AK has a 13% chance to flop top 2 pair. If it does do, it has a 48% chance with 2 to come hit a 4 outer and boat up, and a 29% chance on the river unless it is facing AA or KK, which is rare but happens.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:18 AM

I have yet to see anyone fold in this case. And I have seen lots of people make the -$ raise.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:07 PM

Man, you guys take this game way too seriously. I just jack it up pre-flop and on the flop and hope I end up w/ a full house.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It will be interesting to see if this game can become popular enough to spread to the 2/4, 3/6 and higher limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

They've got it at 2/4 and 3/6 now, although at the moment no one's playing 3/6.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:57 PM

There's two full 2/4 and 3 3/6 games going right now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 10:28 PM

oh my god these games are so good. i am raping the 1/2 games like it's play money.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh my god these games are so good. i am raping the 1/2 games like it's play money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clayton speaks the truth. I have never seen a game where donks and fish lose more.

Over 3 days I have turned 150 to 850 just playing royal hold'em. The Theory of Poker knowledge is a huge advantage here. The game is all about understanding odds and postflop play.

And additionally the game is fun! There is always an interesting board and wonderful hands. I have had about 5 royal flushes and numerous quads. You must always understand what the nuts are and have a good idea of what your opponents knowledge level is. Have fun!