Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Right to a fair trial

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yikes! I think it would result in zero convictions. Pascal's wager.

[/ QUOTE ]Yikes is right. Kinda scares me that you think that no one would be willing to take personal responsiblity for the state of the criminal justice system. But it does help to explain how we got into the situation to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are suggesting that one could be sent to prison for being part of a jury that convicted a person based on false evidence. As a juror, one is supposed to make a judgement based upon the evidence presented at trial. If that evidence is flawed or false, a juror's decision will be commensurately flawed. Your scenario is anathema to liberty. Thus, "Yikes!"
Old 11-04-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yikes! I think it would result in zero convictions. Pascal's wager.

[/ QUOTE ]Yikes is right. Kinda scares me that you think that no one would be willing to take personal responsiblity for the state of the criminal justice system. But it does help to explain how we got into the situation to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are suggesting that one could be sent to prison for being part of a jury that convicted a person based on false evidence. As a juror, one is supposed to make a judgement based upon the evidence presented at trial. If that evidence is flawed or false, a juror's decision will be commensurately flawed. Your scenario is anathema to liberty. Thus, "Yikes!"

[/ QUOTE ]So let me get this straight; the evidence can be flawed or false, yet you think it's fair to decide things this way, provided it doesn't affect you?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So let me get this straight; the evidence can be flawed or false, yet you think it's fair to decide things this way, provided it doesn't affect you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh... no. Where did you get that?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So let me get this straight; the evidence can be flawed or false, yet you think it's fair to decide things this way, provided it doesn't affect you?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Ok so it isn't fair to judge someone on possibly false or flawed evidence? It was just the responsiblity of jurors in the OP that you didn't like.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Ok so it isn't fair to judge someone on possibly false or flawed evidence? It was just the responsiblity of jurors in the OP that you didn't like.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was depriving jurors (random people who have nothing to do with the alleged crime) of their liberty that I didn't like.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was depriving jurors (random people who have nothing to do with the alleged crime) of their liberty that I didn't like.

[/ QUOTE ] Perhaps I'm splitting hairs, and the whole point isn't really to inact what i stipulated. It would be ridiculous to do so. But you make a distinction between the jurors and the wrongfuly accused. The wrongfully accused also is a random person not connected with the crime.

You are willing to let people with no accountabilty make the distinction of guilt or inocence, in fact you seem to perfer it?

Lets say that with a change in the law, the O J trial would be allowed to be retried. But instead of OJ on trail the jurors would be tried for incompetence? Is that such a horrible thing to say? It would take alot to prove incompetence on belalf of jurors, and the OJ jurors probably wouldn't get convicted. Would you be for something like that? Or how about professional jurors? This is kind of a side topic to the OP but it's seems like it would be a fun road to go down.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:08 PM

I am hoping that the police and prosecutors in your state are not picking names out of a hat in order to decide who are criminal suspects.

The "professional juror" thing might possibly be good. If they were elected, there would be a political influence, though.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a juror makes a mistake, how can you fault someone for honestly trying to do his best?

[/ QUOTE ] It's the grander scheme of things, that we allow and encourage an unjust legal system with little personal accountability. As David said in his Death Penalty piece, we bury our heads in the sand to the unjustness of certain actions of the legal system.

[ QUOTE ]
Limit your question here, I think might be the way to approach the subject.

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, this is a symptom. I could limit my subject here but I'm a root cause kind of guy. And the root of the problem is the rights we are granted or demand. We say that someone is presumed innocent, but we do not mean it. It shows when we say that someone be it a criminal or other has the right to a fair and fast trial. Only criminals have a right to a fast and fair trail. I'm not big on arguing the rights of criminals, so I won't go much further than that. Plus if I limited my argument, I don’t think it would be as fun. Bringing the whole practicality thing into a philosophical discussion lessens your options.

There are others, and I'm in the minority here, who think the system is perfectly fine indicting not guilty persons. It’s the price we must pay to have justice. I’m not buying. Innocent until proven guilty and Right to a fair and fast trail are conflicting statements