Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 03:54 PM

Default A \"Swings\" Discussion

Hey guys... long time reader... basically first time poster... heres the question I'd like ya'lls expert opinion on:

How do you handle the swings?

Pretty easy question huh? I don't play for a living but I would say I was definitely better than most in cash games (at least live). I have recently started playin online again on Party and I started on an up swing. It lasted for about 2-weeks and since has turned for about the past week.

I know most go throught these swings and I was just wondering how most handle it. When you know youre on a downswing do you just stop playin for a while or do you get ultra aggro or what? All comments are appreciated.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: A \"Swings\" Discussion

I don't really know what the "correct" way to handle a downswing is or if there even is a correct way. There are definitely a lot of wrong ways though. I subconsciously started playing less frequently and dropped down in limits when I started running bad.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:18 PM

kinda what I was thinking...

I have been playing for a long time live and just jumped onto party... it is like a foreign world... i can almost asure myself constant winning sessions live, but online its like i am much less in control and much more subject to statistical variance...

im sure this has a lot to do with how many more hands are played per hour... but i still seem to see players at my table who are winning despite the cards, much more consistently... it must be a major hole in my game which is being exposed by the rapidity of online play????

Live games I can get fairly accurate reads on people... online all i have to go on is betting patterns and cold-hard math so I try to play table image as much as possible...

Anyways... this is my first major downswing and I was just wondering if others have similar experiences and see how they dealt with it...
Old 10-24-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have been playing for a long time live and just jumped onto party... it is like a foreign world... i can almost asure myself constant winning sessions live, but online its like i am much less in control and much more subject to statistical variance...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like my story also. I had been almost 100% live player up until recently and have experienced the same thing.

Live play is easier for a lot of players, obviously because it's easier to tell what someone has in live play and also the quality of live play is much lower than online. Online is mostly players who know at least a little about poker whereas live you get a bunch of donks who are playing for the social aspect.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:23 PM

I drop down in limits usually (haha or move up in limits too, if I'm trying to book a win for the day)
Old 10-24-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(haha or move up in limits too, if I'm trying to book a win for the day)

[/ QUOTE ]

im doing this more, especially since if you drop down it will be 4 times as hard to make it back to the black than if you move up.

but dont try this at home kids.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:37 PM

I suppose its a silly thing to reply to but moving up in limits to get back to positive for the day is a generic addicted gambler thing to do right? You aren't suggesting that that is actually a good idea right?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:57 PM

suck it up and keep fighting
i learn alot from my downswings
Old 10-24-2005, 08:19 PM

how do i handle the swings?

not very well. i buy a lot of [censored] when im winning and lose more playing when im losing. variance will determine whether im broke with a plasma and a caddy or broke with a sears catalog and a huffy.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(haha or move up in limits too, if I'm trying to book a win for the day)

[/ QUOTE ]

im doing this more, especially since if you drop down it will be 4 times as hard to make it back to the black than if you move up.

but dont try this at home kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont we all... running bad when moving up to make up for a bad day has been the cruelest thing poker has done "to me"