Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 04:32 PM

Default When the game is THAT good (Low content)

About midnight last night.

I had already got in my limit hold em hands online for the day, and was about to start studying for my cal 3 test when I got a phone call.

It happened to be a buddy who plays cards at some underground clubs with me around town.

He says, "Hey man, there is a monster game downtown tonight, the whole place is going crazy you gotta come down here."

So, I grab my money and figure I'll go down and play a couple hands and study at the table.

I walk in, and there are 10 people playing a nice friendy game of 2-5 NL holdem. I recognize 5 of the guys, which is unusual because normally I would know all 10.

Well, 1 of the 5 guys I know is probably the biggest fish I've ever seen (Monster Fish), so I am pretty happy about that.

As I walk closer to the table I see that that Monster Fish is in about a 2000 dollar pot. Some dude pushed all in on a 678 board with 24o, Monster Fish called with A6o.

His hand holds up. The new guy that was all in with 2-4 rebuys for 2000 dollars, and I decide I would really like a seat.

Next hand is a 3-4 way all in, and a short stack busts out.
So, A seat is open.

The guy sitting directly to the left of Monster Fish asks me if I want his seat and he'll take the open seat, I more than gladly oblige his request.

I buy in for 2500 (just covers everybody, note normal stack sizes for an average 2-5 NL game in this town are usually 300. Average stack at this table 1500 or so, some short stacks and big stacks mixed.)

I sit down, and get dealt in in the CO no post necessary.

I fold, and notice now that they are raking around 15 dollars out of the pot depending on who wins the pot. I know the dealers real well, and I know they won't overrake my pots (5 dollars is standard rake) So I am not too worried. However, I would probably sit in this game even with a 15 dollar rake.

So, I am in hijack the next hand and get dealt Jd8c. Few people limp, Monster Fish limps. I limp. blinds think and check.

Monster Fish is drinking. He is really macho and hates to be pushed around. Some of the other players in this game are regular fish around town, but the 5 new guys make all the regular fish look like pros. Monster Fish makes everybody look like Phil Ivy.

Flop comes: Js 8d 2c
Pot is about 30 dollars. First guy open mucks. Next guy does his I missed the flop check, as does the guy behind him. Monster Fish takes his time drinking and looking around the room, because he doesn't know that we are playing poker. The dealer gets his attention, and he throws out a handful of chips. It equals 50 bucks. I say oh no monster fish, we play big here (or something stupid that effect so that I know he has to call)and I make it 1000 straight. folds to monster fish who calls (He has about 1500 at this point, after he calls he has about 500 left)

Turn comes: As
He checks, I say im allin, He says, "You want to go all in, ok lets do it" he calls with A2o.

River: Is a 5 blank.

He takes down a monster pot and is sitting with like 3k now.

He tells me to be careful cause he will mess me up, he likes me, but hes gotta break me.

So, I rebuy for another 3500.

This underground game has like a club atmosphere. Monster Fish starts making out with some girl that walks by after this pot, I think she was a prostitute. My buddy that called me is actually a pretty good player, he is sitting with about 1500 and getting real drunk, and tipping random girls to massage him and just having a good time. He is up about 500 in the game, but even after tipping people.

Next hand, some blonde girl comes over and starts rubbing all over me and kissing my neck cause my buddy told her too, and apparently he runs things. I am sure the fact that I had 4 grand in front of me helped. Plus im real pretty [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In the middle of this, a guy 3 to my left has gone on monster tilt and now raises it to 50 every hand, he has about 2000 behind.

I get JJ mp2, tell the girl behind me I am married and to give it a rest, she doesn't believe me, but my buddy tells her to go get us drinks, so her and her friends do just that (I don't plan on drinking). folds to Monster Fish who limps, I limp, folds to maniac who makes it 50, monster fish calls, I make it 500, maniac is confused as to how it will now cost him 500 to call. He truly doesn't understand. He his frustrated but folds, monster fish calls.

Flop comes: Qs Qd 3s
Monster fish checks, I bet 100, monster fish says, "fine I am allin." Then he tells me I cant call, and then offers to chop the pot, then tells me I am making a mistake if I call. so, I call.

Monster fish shows As 4c

Turn comes: 5s

Hmm, Monster fish probably doesn't realize that he picked up a flush draw, but I do and the dealer looks at me like, "[censored]"

I laugh and say something along the lines of don't do it to me again.

river comes: 5d

Somebody says 2 pair with an ace, I make sure they realize my 2 pair is bigger, and I win the pot.

Monster fish rebuys for 2 grand.

I would go on and describe the rest of the crazy night, but you get the picture, soft game.

As for the plays, I have played with monster fish before, and I had a good read on maniac pretty quick, so most of this is extremely player dependent.

Needless to say I went on to win alot of money as did most of the table.

On a side note, I limpreraised the maniac about 7 times, and he never could figure out how it kept becoming 400 or 500 back to him after he would bet 50. He was confused as [censored].

In conclusion, best game I've ever had the honor of sitting in. At one point the dealer was real drunk, and with the fish playing so slow, we were getting out 20 hands an hour? maybe.

All of the numbers are estimates as I don't remember exact counts. Its within a couple hundred either way. Oh yea, My buddy left the game while it was at its softest to go to a bar up the road, and he couldn't figure out why I wouldn't come along.

I figure my EV in this game was 500 an hour. In a 2-5NL holdem game.

Game selection can make you rich.

-blake
Old 10-14-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: When the game is THAT good (Low content)

I assume you failed the calc 3 test [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 05:04 PM

[censored] cal 3 when you can clean you the fish! Man, I was sweating you when you said that 5s hit the turn. Made even me nervous!
Old 10-15-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you failed the calc 3 test [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
(--linky old tests and google are the nuts)