Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 01:59 AM

Location: They call Los Angeles the City of Angels. I didn\'t find it to be that exactly, but I\'ll allow as there are some nice folks there.
Default Re: Baseball Ruling. I\'m calling for Gary Cohen\'s resignation on 660a

lol. . .I graduated from pro umpire school in '03, where we were quizzed on this type of stuff in written tests and on the field.

I read the first few posts, was planning to set you all straight, and then you guys figured it out yourself. Way to go.

Especially the guy who explained the difference between a force play and an appeal play.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:06 AM

You don't know anything about baseball, no wonder you are a Mets fan. So stick that foot way down your throat Cornell, because IT'S NOT A FORCE PLAY at second.

Force outs are not hard. If the run scores before you get it back at second, he's safe. It happened in 2000 I believe.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:09 AM

Location: They call Los Angeles the City of Angels. I didn\'t find it to be that exactly, but I\'ll allow as there are some nice folks there.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't know anything about baseball, no wonder you are a Mets fan. So stick that foot way down your throat Cornell, because IT'S NOT A FORCE PLAY at second.

[/ QUOTE ]

you would be shocked how many umpires get this wrong on rule quizzes.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:13 AM

I've never had any umpire training.

Look, here is the point:

I call it a time play. If the guy at third(Castro) can touch home plate before Ishii is out at second, the run counts. That's in the umpire's judgement.

It's totally different from a double play, which is what Cornell may be thinking of. If there's 1 out and a guy on first, and a ball is hit to Jeter who flips to Cano for the out at second, who then flips to Martinez to get the double play, then it doesn't matter whether or not Fat Albert comes home to score from third. He could be Juan [censored] Pierre and it wouldn't matter. Force outs take precedent over runners advancing. But as others have said, this is not a force play.

Didn't see the Mets game in question, but that's how it works.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:15 AM

yes, you are absolutely correct.

But most people (including the OP), mistakenly believe that this is a force play. Being this is a common misconception, I think your response to him was too harsh.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Baseball Ruling. I\'m calling for Gary Cohen\'s resignation on 660am

Just to note for those who don't listen to Mets games, Gary Cohen is one of the best radio announcers in the sport, I would assume he is right in his thoughts because he has been around for a while and rarely makes a mistake, covering for Bob Murphy's mistakes, who was going senile over the past couple of years.

He is by far and away one of the best announcers in the sport and I would take him over anyone including joe buck and crappy ass tim McCarver.

--LoO
Old 06-11-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: I AM WRONG

[ QUOTE ]

I believe it is the same as a catch. That prevents guys from intentionally bouncing the ball out of the glove and juggling it in his hand or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because otherwise whenever a potential sac fly would occur, outfielders would just juggle the ball all the way into the infield to prevent runners from being allowed to tag up. It would be entertaining to watch, but a travesty of the game. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2005, 02:18 PM

I don't think that the runner going back to second is a FORCE play. He has no one behind him FORCING him to do anything. - he could go to 2nd or 3rd. I agree with the announcer.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Force outs are not hard. If the run scores before you get it back at second, he's safe. It happened in 2000 I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

SHUT UP DEAD

Not only do you come in acting like a jackass, but you do it after the question has already been resolved many times over.

Just SHUT UP.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:28 PM

what is this play called, when a runner is thrown out before he tags up after a fly/line out?